Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crow Call

Crow Call

Can anyone recommend me a good Crow call i have seen Primos calls advertised but dont know anybody that uses one and have read conflicting reports about them, any recommendations ?

have a look on the crow busters website.

I have read many very good reports about the Primos but never used one myself. I use a Haydels Crow Caller and have had some great results from it, I used to use a Johnny Stewart which was also quite good - until I lost it. Personally I don't think that there is much difference between the Primos, the Haydels or the Jonny Stewart, however those with more experience might think or say otherwise.
    The crucial thing (Whatever one you opt for) is to get out in the field, listen to the way the crows communicate with each other and practice, it's not something that you just blow into as you would a fox whistle, it takes more of a raspy sort of growel to make them sound right
    One thing I would add is that I would never have another Acme Crow Caller - Whatever I did and no matter how much I tried I could never get it sounding anything better than Donald Duck with a sore throat!

Heres a short video I did to compare the Jonny Stewart and the Haydel caller (The caller section starts at around 1:10):
    Last edited by FrenchieBoy; 31-07-2015 at 10:30.

http://www.lakesidecalls.co.uk/sam-n...crow-call.html

Take a bit of getting used to, but very good when you do.

I have only ever used an Acme, with some success.

Steve.
    He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

Quote Originally Posted by NOTSHARP View Post
    I have only ever used an Acme, with some success.

Steve.
    thats some going on crows steve i have an acme but never had that much sucsess with it cracking call tho,,,atb doug
    DONT START

Thanks lads it gives me something to go at i think i'll buy a couple and see how we go.
    Some good pics there Steve - nice one.

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    Robb,
    You can call crows with your own voice. It takes some practice but it can be done. Make the sound back where your tonsils are, keep practicing and you will get it. Chaaaaa, way back in your throat. The little thing that hangs down should be fluttering. None of your friends will believe you until they see it, then you will be the bomb. Wish I could figure out how to record my voice call and put it on here. Not pulling your leg here, I have sent many a crow the the happy cornfield in the sky with nothing more than my built in caller. I can also gobble like a turkey and call foxes/coyotes all day long by sucking on the back of my hand (short range). It aint bragging if you really done it, Dizzy Dean. Good hunting to you. Another crow trick, go with a retreaver. Stay hidden and when you shoot the first one, send the dog out for it, the other crows will go mental and start dive bombing the dog. You will get many shots before they wise up. Love shooting crows, 12 ga 1 1/8 oz of #6.

A routine issue with crow calls is that they are almost all made in -or at least for- the USA and the calls of American crows are by no means the same as those of European ones.

I have various US calls and, while they sometimes work OK, I haven't been impressed by any of them. The only exception is the Acme, and even this is best when you use it to mimic jackdaws (which it can do very well), rather than crows.

I do have a call I swear by, however, and that is the Nordik, which offers unique depth, versatility of tone, and range.
    Last edited by Mr. Gain; 11-08-2015 at 07:25.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Quote Originally Posted by A Guy Out West View Post
    Robb,
    You can call crows with your own voice. It takes some practice but it can be done. Make the sound back where your tonsils are, keep practicing and you will get it. Chaaaaa, way back in your throat. The little thing that hangs down should be fluttering. None of your friends will believe you until they see it, then you will be the bomb. Wish I could figure out how to record my voice call and put it on here. Not pulling your leg here, I have sent many a crow the the happy cornfield in the sky with nothing more than my built in caller. I can also gobble like a turkey and call foxes/coyotes all day long by sucking on the back of my hand (short range). It aint bragging if you really done it, Dizzy Dean. Good hunting to you. Another crow trick, go with a retreaver. Stay hidden and when you shoot the first one, send the dog out for it, the other crows will go mental and start dive bombing the dog. You will get many shots before they wise up. Love shooting crows, 12 ga 1 1/8 oz of #6.
    Get a smart phone and put it on video then get calling...only needs to be a short video 30-60 seconds.
    Load it up on you-tube...........We don't even have to see your face lol

On a different note, none of my friends who have working dogs ( spaniels/labs) use them for picking up crows as they have a beak like a railway spike and not afraid to use it....No dogs eyes are worth a crow..

I use a single flapper on a fence post with a Acme caller, then stake out a few...my crow/rook/jackdaw shooting is around a sheep farm as they like to nick the barley..

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....