Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what does a medal buck look like?

So what does a medal buck look like?

Shot a reasonable number of Roe Buck over the years, but last night I shot what I considered to be something quite exceptional.

I have never had much interest in medals and the like and have never seen a medal head so have no idea whether this one is particularly good or not.

Your thoughts and experience would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150731_002.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	417.3 KB 
ID:	59679Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150731_001.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	407.9 KB 
ID:	59678
    So much to learn and so little time left

Name:	west sussex trophy bucks 009.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	587.7 KB 
ID:	59681Click image for larger version. 

Name:	west sussex trophy bucks 006.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	523.1 KB 
ID:	59680

Two medal heads taken off my lease in West Sussex left is a silver and right is a high gold, both confirmed CIC.

Going by your photo Nigel I would say it would go silver, possibly gold, depends on weight. It is unfortunate that you have cut the skull. You should always leave the whole skull when getting the head measured by CIC.
    Last edited by sikamalc; 31-07-2015 at 16:13.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

It certainly looks like a nice trophy, well done. For future reference however it's best to prepare the head with a full skull, more work certainly, but it will affect the final score, those with the skull left whole will benefit over those which have been cut.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I thought it looked pretty good.

Not planning on getting it measured, this was for my interest only. It will look just as nice on the wall without a piece of silver wear hanging on it.

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=NigelM;1000531]Shot a reasonable number of Roe Buck over the years, but last night I shot what I considered to be something quite exceptional.

I have never had much interest in medals and the like and have never seen a medal head so have no idea whether this one is particularly good or not.

Your thoughts and experience would be appreciated.

Name:	WP_20150731_002.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	417.3 KB 
ID:	59679Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150731_001.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	407.9 KB 
ID:	59678
    If it was to make a medal you should have not cut till it had been scored, but well done as very nice
    Last edited by Marc m; 31-07-2015 at 17:22.

Hard to say as first pic it looks pretty special but the second not so much.Give it a weigh and then we will get a way better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by sako751sg View Post
    Hard to say as first pic it looks pretty special but the second not so much.Give it a weigh and then we will get a way better idea.
    No idea how good SWMBO's kitchen scales are, but Salter make them and she bakes exceptionally good cakes.

Came in at 315 grams. No idea how much the big bit I chopped off weighed.

Does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    No idea how good SWMBO's kitchen scales are, but Salter make them and she bakes exceptionally good cakes.

Came in at 315 grams. No idea how much the big bit I chopped off weighed.

Does that help?
    Would be very lucky even to make bronze at that weight,and even with full skull probably wouldnt have made anything.Still a very nice trophy as has been said though.

Quote Originally Posted by sako751sg View Post
    Would be very lucky even to make bronze at that weight,and even with full skull probably wouldnt have made anything.Still a very nice trophy as has been said though.
    Thank you for the help. There must be some very impressive beasts out there!

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    Thank you for the help. There must be some very impressive beasts out there!
    A good heed regardless and hopefully better to come.