Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life is good & a Winchester model 70 - 30/06

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA

Life is good & a Winchester model 70 - 30/06

The wife took the kids to Europe today for a month. This will be the longest I have been alone in 20 years. Just a dog, 2 parakeets, and 2 lizards to take care of, I can handle it. First project, kick the cap off a cold frosty one. Then I'm going to de-prime some once fired Nosler brass and clean it in the sonic. Should be nice and dry in the morning. My biggest decision for Saturday morn will be should I go with W760 or try the new bottle of Norma 204 that I got at Cabelas. I will be using Win LR primers and a Hornady 168gr BTHP. Trying to make the ultimate long range plinking load. I tried 55 gr of W760 with an OAL of 3.265. It only did about a 1.5 in group (my Remington 700 has spoiled me). I obtained one of the new model 70s made over in Carolina a couple of years ago and have not really been impressed with it's accuracy. So far, I have only found one load that it likes - 55 gr. of W760 under a 165 Sierra BTSP. That load did 1/2" groups. Perhaps I already found the ultimate load! Like the BC of the 168 gr. better. I was thinking of trying 55.5 and 56 gr. of the W760, sometimes a small change will do wonders. I have never used the Norma powder before, has anyone tried it in the combo listed above? Another thing is that I only have about 60 rounds through the rifle and I did not do a barrel break in. Perhaps it just needs another 100 rounds through it???
    Last edited by A Guy Out West; 01-08-2015 at 02:34. Reason: Spelling

SD Regular
    Guess all you Europeans are fast asleep dreaming of monster roe bucks. Progress report: Nosler brass deprimed and neck sized. 50 cases in the cleaner, buzzing away. Will rinse and pop in the oven when clean, boy o boy would the wife hate that.

SD Regular
    Ok, brass came out perfect. Used the Hornady solution, distilled water, and set the timer for 20 mts. Now it's time to focus on the rest of the cold frosty ones, me and the cur dog are going to watch WW2 documentaries until the wee hours of the morning, no one to give us a hard time about it. Guess I should clean the Winchester, need to have a level starting plane. My least favorite thing to do.

Isn't that new Model 70 slick?!! Did you get the Featherweight or the Supergrade?

I just bought some Norma 204 today, as the shelf was full at Sportsman's warehouse.
    After I try my tried-and-true .30-06 loads, I will cook up some Norma and VV loads for a B78 in .30-06 to see how it does at 600 and 800 yards.

If you want accuracy, and are willing to back off the speed, the match Garand load of 46.0 gr Varget with a hot primer, like Rem 9.5, CCI-34, or Federal 250 magnum, with a 168 SMK seated 3.30" is a place to start.

I expect to have to get about 57.0 grains of N-204 to shrink the groups, just like W-760, H-414, or H-4350. Let me know how you come out with the 204. It sounds like 55.0 gr of W-760 is the target load with the 168-gr SMK in your rifle.

SD Regular
    Dixie,
    Nice to hear from you. I have some Varget, will verify and give it a try. The rifle is slick, just wish it could shoot a little tighter. 3.30 it is for the AM shoot. Soaking the barrel in KG 1 presently, when the black goes away will finish with KG 12. Best stuff I have found since Coppermelt vanished from the face of the earth. Model 70 is a Sporter 24".
    Last edited by A Guy Out West; 01-08-2015 at 04:53. Reason: Forgot something

If you have a 165-gr Gameking shooting 1/2 inch groups, just verify the drops and go hunting for most anything in sight.

I think the newer Model 70s are better than the pre-64s (heresy!!). I bought a Featherweight .308 for my son's graduation from college - really nice, and shoots well.

It is hard to beat H-4350 under a 165/168 in the .30-06. But if you are after more velocity, try RL-19.
    Last edited by Southern; 01-08-2015 at 12:31.

SD Regular
    Range report. The winner is 54 gr. of Norma 204. Shot 5 shots at 100, 3 into a clover leaf ragged hole, 1 an 1/8" from the clover hole, and 1 flyer 1/2" from the clover leaf. I used the 3.330 COAL you suggested. I tried the 46 gr. of Varget, about a 1 1.5" group. Again 5 shots, only 4 holes so 2 went into the same hole. I had trouble seating the Rem 9.5 M primers into the Nosler cases. I had to press as hard as I dared to get them to seat a hair below flush. I used Win LR primers with the Norma 204. I have to say that the conditions were less than ideal. It was 98 degrees at the range, I was the only wack job out there. It made it really hard for the barrel to cool down. In fact, this afternoon is likely the hottest I have ever gotten one of my barrels. Just to the point I couldn't hold my hand on it. Heck, I only shot a total of 10 rounds and was allowing some cooling between shots, like 3 to 5 minutes. You can keep the heat, Southern.
    Last edited by A Guy Out West; 02-08-2015 at 05:11.

SD Regular
    Southern,
    I think you are correct in that the new Model 70s are better than the old ones. The trigger is light years better, the barrel is nicely crowned, and it comes stock with a decent recoil pad. The wood is ok and the barrel is floated

That heat may have had something to do with your groups, too.
    It has been really still here, and other places in NC an TN where I was this week, but too hot to shoot, unless you went out early. It was 81 at sunrise, clear sky, and went to 102 for about 8 hours. My wife had a bunch of chores for me, and most of them outside, like cutting brush and some carpentry. I would do an inside job in between outside ones to cool off, but right now, I weigh 8 lbs less than when I got up this morning.

On that 168-gr SMK, use the same die setting that worked for your 165-gr with the W-760, whatever COAL that comes out to, but check the throat to be sure you have some running room. You may find better accuracy a 3.250 inch COAL.

As you said, this is a new rifle, and it will probably just get better as it breaks in. This Varget is not a fast load, almost .308 dose of powder. Work up towards 55.5 gr RL-17 or 60 grains of RL-19, which will put you well over 2,900 fps.

But with your 165-gr SGK shooting so well, why are you shooting the 168-gr target bullet? You need to shoot them at 300 yards for groups, to tell the difference. And why not go with a 175-gr SMK and shoot it at 600 yards?

You should go back to the W-760 load and play with loads in .2 gr increments, up towards 57.0 gr.
    Last edited by Southern; 02-08-2015 at 04:47.

SD Regular
    Yep, I was wondering about the hot barrel. I will have to try the same load with Norma powder when it's cold. Just to clarify, the two bullets are a Sierra 165 gr SPBT Game King and a Hornady 168 BTHP. This is just a load for playing around with, like shooting 2 Lb bags of flower in the clear cuts, 300, 400, 500 yards. I am going to try the W760 again with an increased charge. So much fun to be had. Do you shoot a 7/08? If so, what is your favorite load?