Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Available - Fully funded Level 1 places available from the Bursary fund.

Available - Fully funded Level 1 places available from the Bursary fund.

Dear All,

Firstly we need 9 people who wish to get their level 1 and feel they are a deserving case, students, family men/women who find it difficult to spend on themselves when it could go on the family, unemployed pretty much anyone who feel they have a good reason. If you think you fall into this category just send me a Private Message and we shall come to a decision as soon as, the cut off date will be the 10th August 2015.

The course, will be run over the weekend of 3rd/4th of October at East Kilbride, the registration will be via Barony College.

Now before people start crying that it would be good to run these courses in other parts of the Country, I agree it would but without the generosity we have had in organising/running this course it is impossible.

After just over a year of the Supporters cub being in existence we are in a suitable financial position to offer nine, 9, fully funded level 1 courses. I should add that this is only possible because of the magnificent generosity of the South Lanarkshire Deer Group, SLDG, under the general-ship of 6 Pointer, Davie Quarrel in particular and Andrew Treadaway of Barony College, through which the paperwork will be managed. Last but not least the members who have subscribed to the supporters club, this subscription is not huge, 50 pence per week roughly, and after the expenses of the monthly draw prizes it has taken us over a year to get here and only then because of the massive generosity and donation of time and resources by others. We have at present 183 subscribers to the supporters club a figure which pleases me because we have that many members willing to engage in the idea of helping others to get started etc. within our sport. It also disappoints me in that we have a healthy membership and it appears that most are happy to take but quite reluctant to give, a pity really.

Good luck to all applicants.
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Great stuff, well done to all those with an active role in making the opportunity available. I hope the lucky candidates find their course (and the pre-course reading) as enjoyable and informative as I did. I'm sure they'll appreciate it just as much.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Great work SD, I did my DSC1 with the guys at Baroney, and they did a fantastic job with me..and it was all organised through various PM's on this very site.....prior to the DSC course, I was at a "try before you buy" day in East Kilbride, ( got a few pics too, might post them up ) and had a great time, the work put in by all those guys is/was immense...plus, the food was amazing...all for free too.....

I read your post JayB, and it gave me the kick up the bum I needed to get supporting the site.... so....I did it,....it's done, the princely sum of 6 is paid...and very well worth it...

Keep up the good work chaps...

Great to see the investment back in to stalking, development of people and those who can least afford getting a hand.

Well done SD!
    I never make the same mistake twice.

I make it five or six times.

Just to be sure.

I have to say that the response has been completely underwhelming with three responses so far, I was expecting a bit more of an uptake.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    I have to say that the response has been completely underwhelming with three responses so far, I was expecting a bit more of an uptake.

John
    John,

it it appears you have the same thread several times!

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    John,

it it appears you have the same thread several times!
    That is because a lot of folk only look in certain forums and in order to catch the biggest potential audience I put it where potential interested parties would see it. Just trying to ensure that as many deserving people as possible are aware.

John

dont despair JB ,its the first week of the holiday season,youl probably get swamped as people return from trips away with the family.give it a fortnight and youl have an oversubscription of people.for some this is the 1 holiday saved up for all year so they just havent seen your great offer.as you posted some have to put family first and when they get back theyl bite your hand off.i did mine at Cirencester with H.M.E and its a great learning curve .well done providing so many free places atb iain
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

For anyone who thinks that they are not a 'deserving case' - I thought the same thing when I asked for it; I work full time (away from home), and get a decent wage; I thought that there would be no chance of me getting it. I was not the only person that thought it would only go to unemployed shooters!
    The fact that I was working, and paying bills, meant that it would be unlikely that I could afford to pay for the course myself - and after a bit of convincing from Jaybe, I eventually put my case forward, and was accepted.
    Even if you are sceptical of the DSC course(s), bear in mind, that the Firearms Office take you a bit more seriously when you have it (at least they seem to in Humberside), even if what you are asking them for doesn't actually have anything to do with deer stalking; one example being when I was asking to be allowed to carry out urban fox control - as soon as they realised I had my DSC1, they seemed to relax about it a bit (I still had to write a massive risk assessment though)!