Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New rifle time: Blaser barrel feedback pls

New rifle time: Blaser barrel feedback pls

My 270 and 308 Cert has just come through and I'm going to give the R8 Pro Success a crack .
    I have a mod for the 308, not the 270. 308 I will use here, the 270 for Europe.
    Any advise of what type of barrel(s) I should be looking to order. Also, for the 270, should I get a sighted barrel (assume this is only for aesthetics as it will be scoped)
    thanks

i dont have any advice on the barrels but i would point out that if you want to buy a spare barrel it has to be marked as such on your certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by artschool View Post
    i dont have any advice on the barrels but i would point out that if you want to buy a spare barrel it has to be marked as such on your certificate.
    +1 - very true - have a merkel and this is the case - 1st caliber- rifle (action associated to 1st barrel) then 2nd caliber- additional barrel
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

Hi Blair,

I have the R8 success in 30-06 and couldn't be happier with the rifle. I went for the std sporter profile with the std factory threaded 15 x 1 spigot for the mod. The thread protector fits well so I wouldn't be concerned about using it without the mod fitted. I did think about fluted or semi weight barrels but am happy with the std. The rifle balances very well and is incredibly pointable with or without the mod fitted.

I hope that helps a little.

Mac

Standard 17mm barrel with sights will be fine that's the cheapest option then get the .308 threaded job done
    (Factory threading is extra cost or used to be )

fluting adds about 500 to a standard barrel mmmm fluted barrel with sights ohhhh

I ordered a std barrel with sights in 6.5 and had mine threaded m14x1 by Lawrence precision works perfectly with a LP mod

I couldn't justify the extra cost for a fluted barrel. I bought mine from Swillington Shooting Supplies and there was no extra cost for the factory threading. The stock also came with the extra QD sling swivel stud on the forend to fit a bipod. This was a factory extra, again at no extra cost.

I've got the semi-weight barrel in .270, with open sights and no mod, the extra weight helps a lot with the recoil, and it ballance the rifle well IMHO, i'm loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by blaire View Post
    My 270 and 308 Cert has just come through and I'm going to give the R8 Pro Success a crack .
    I have a mod for the 308, not the 270. 308 I will use here, the 270 for Europe.
    Any advise of what type of barrel(s) I should be looking to order. Also, for the 270, should I get a sighted barrel (assume this is only for aesthetics as it will be scoped)
    thanks
    Depends if the aesthetics are worth the cost.. middleweight barrel approx. 500 more than the standard weight then if you want it fluted about 500 more again... then... as you are doing this for aesthetics, you are stuck purchasing middleweight barrels as the channel in the forend will be oversized for a std barrel.. whilst this should be ok (just look a bit odd).. in practice it doesn't work as it allows play between the barrel and the stock and you then struggle to hold zero! been there!!!

The rifle is perfectly balanced with a standard weight barrel and is heavy enough IMHO without adding more weight... recoil.... what recoil????

Quote Originally Posted by Hereford View Post
    +1 - very true - have a merkel and this is the case - 1st caliber- rifle (action associated to 1st barrel) then 2nd caliber- additional barrel
    wasn't aware of that. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vipa View Post
    Depends if the aesthetics are worth the cost.. middleweight barrel approx. 500 more than the standard weight then if you want it fluted about 500 more again... then... as you are doing this for aesthetics, you are stuck purchasing middleweight barrels as the channel in the forend will be oversized for a std barrel.. whilst this should be ok (just look a bit odd).. in practice it doesn't work as it allows play between the barrel and the stock and you then struggle to hold zero! been there!!!

The rifle is perfectly balanced with a standard weight barrel and is heavy enough IMHO without adding more weight... recoil.... what recoil????
    Are you saying the issue between barrel and stock occur when you have 2 different weighted barrels in the same stock?