Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ballistic turret

ballistic turret

HI I am looking to buy a Swarovski 6zi gen 2 2.5-15x56 BT for my long range rifle.
    but I need to know how reliable are the ballistic turret settings and can you set the turrets for any range
    or are you limited to a set range.

Have a read through the thread on the link below, worth reading the links on here too.

I have a PBC and it is very accurate out to 600m of which is the limit on my rifle set up.

The SWAROVSKI OPTIK PBC Personalized Ballistic Cam

best of luck.

If its to sit on a long range rifle how about a Swaro X5i long range scope? The Z6i is a cracking scope I have one with a PBC and love it. But for long range shooting maybe you'd have more options with with the X5i? For stalking the PBC gives you the ability once you've range found / guessed the distance the opportunity to dial in the range you still have to "guess" windage. For faster shooting like park culling I found it too slow and frustrating and ended up going back to good old hold over.
    “Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
    –Fred Bear -

What's long range to you? don't forget that compensating for drop at the same altitude and barometric pressure, etc. is simple, compensating for 3 feet of wind drift across varying wind speeds or wind funnels is a 'bit' harder to say the least, especially if your scope cannot compensate for wind properly.

IMHO, the ballistic turret concept is oversold and nothing but a marketing gimmick - here's why: as most of them do not properly allow you to adjust for wind apart from harsh marks if you're lucky, then shots much over 300yds start becoming a guessing game. Therefore, with most hunting calibres capable of taking game with enough downrange energy remaining at that distance, zero for MPBR and you're just holding over a touch anyway, ie. there's really no point in the ballistic turret.

so you set your colour bands at 100, 200, 300, then see buck feeding in a field, you then get out your range finders, range him, spend a while thinking about the distance being 245yds should be set to 200 or 300 and if you should then hold over/under, you decide, lie down to prepare for the shot, and the buck is gone..

Alternatively you zero your gun to MPBR, see the buck and through practice realise it's between 200 and 300 yds out, lie down and put the crosshairs high shoulder so if it's closer to 300 your H/L and if closer to 200 you're high shoulder, either way, it's a couple of seconds decision and you have a shot downrange quickly.

Shoot me down for my opinions but they are what they are.
    “One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset

I use a z6i on a rimfire and set the BT for 50 and 100 yards and it works fine

I don't feel a need for a BT on my Z6i on my deer rifle if they are over 200 I eigher stalk in ( if I can ) or leave them

dont forget with a Z6 you only have so many elevation clicks so depending on your caliber and how far you want to shoot there might not be enough range to do what you want

in which case youll need a DT PM2

Quote Originally Posted by pietasvenatores View Post
    What's long range to you? don't forget that compensating for drop at the same altitude and barometric pressure, etc. is simple, compensating for 3 feet of wind drift across varying wind speeds or wind funnels is a 'bit' harder to say the least, especially if your scope cannot compensate for wind properly.

IMHO, the ballistic turret concept is oversold and nothing but a marketing gimmick - here's why: as most of them do not properly allow you to adjust for wind apart from harsh marks if you're lucky, then shots much over 300yds start becoming a guessing game. Therefore, with most hunting calibres capable of taking game with enough downrange energy remaining at that distance, zero for MPBR and you're just holding over a touch anyway, ie. there's really no point in the ballistic turret.

so you set your colour bands at 100, 200, 300, then see buck feeding in a field, you then get out your range finders, range him, spend a while thinking about the distance being 245yds should be set to 200 or 300 and if you should then hold over/under, you decide, lie down to prepare for the shot, and the buck is gone..

Alternatively you zero your gun to MPBR, see the buck and through practice realise it's between 200 and 300 yds out, lie down and put the crosshairs high shoulder so if it's closer to 300 your H/L and if closer to 200 you're high shoulder, either way, it's a couple of seconds decision and you have a shot downrange quickly.

Total common sense and I whole heartedly agree. I don't feel the need for BT turrets on a stalking rifle and have had this same discussion with a few who have them. When you bring up the question of windage to those who swear by them they seem to go quiet for some reason??

ATB Lee

About 12 years ago we drove round a corner on a forestry track to find a stag with a broken hind leg. He took off up the hill on 3 legs and stopped at 450 yds. It took me 3 shots to hot him and I swore I would not let that happen to me again, so i got a scope with ballistic turrets.

I practice out to 500 yds a couple of times a year and know my mark ups on them all are spot on. I also mark up for wind at 10 mph, but judging it is still very difficult. I think it helps you get a bit closer than a guess, but it's not like dialing for elevation.

Last year we had a similar situation, this time at 420 yds. Luckily there was next to know wind. I dialed it in and the beast went down to a near perfect chest shot.

I agree with most of the posters here, at regular stalking distances turrets are not worth having, but every now and again you might well be grateful for them.
    So much to learn and so little time left

I think I mentioned windage in my post?

Anyway you like them or you don't... Best not say it's sat on a Blaser - oh whoops I did.

in all seriousness I'm quite happy with it, mines personalised to my preferred ammunition and goes up in 25yard increments.

As an exercise setting if up was very interesting and really showed the trajectory of a 150g .308.

I guess its not the be all and end all, just a nice to have.

WH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    “Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
    –Fred Bear -

Quote Originally Posted by pietasvenatores View Post

Much sense and completely agree.

if you are going to get turrets get a FFP scope with proper milrad adjustments and a mildot reticle, or MOA and fine duplex In the second focal plane and dial in properly.

Quote Originally Posted by White Hart View Post
    I think I mentioned windage in my post?

Anyway you like them or you don't... Best not say it's sat on a Blaser - oh whoops I did.

in all seriousness I'm quite happy with it, mines personalised to my preferred ammunition and goes up in 25yard increments.

As an exercise setting if up was very interesting and really showed the trajectory of a 150g .308.

I guess its not the be all and end all, just a nice to have.

WH

Certainly appreciate what youre saying but pretty much th only circumstance i can think of when i would be shooting an animal far away enough for me to want to fiddle with turrets would be mountain hunting.

in thise circumstances the custom bdc would be off due to altitude.

i can't see the point myself, something else i would tempted to fiddle with whilst i should be getting the shot off..