Thread: Bunion surgery recovery etc

Bunion surgery recovery etc

Sadly at the youthful age of 45 I have been reccomended by the doc to have surgery on my foot as I have a bunion which is causing me real problems. It is effecting other joints in my foot and footwear is now v difficult to find . Long stalks now cause pain.

Have any of you guys had this surgery and what can I expect in respect to recovery time, when will I be back up and stalking and working (I have an active job as an ag engineer)?

The thought of six weeks off is very worrying....any words of encouragement out there?

In discussion with my darling partner, who's sister and another close friend had one, or two in the latter case, removed, she reckons - steel yourself - that you better prepare for "nearer 12 weeks!"
    Other second opinions will no doubt flood in, but from all accounts it's no' much fun.

It doesn't sound very nice, I feel for you!

To lighten the mood... I'm on a tight rain with the baby and all, so I can see a way forward! If you can come around here and put your feet up and fulfil my obligations of feeding / nappy changes etc I can pick up and help out with your permissions! You know just to keep things ticking over... Lol...

In all seriousness all the very best with it all.

WH
    “Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
    –Fred Bear -

Quote Originally Posted by White Hart View Post
    It doesn't sound very nice, I feel for you!

To lighten the mood... I'm on a tight rain with the baby and all, so I can see a way forward! If you can come around here and put your feet up and fulfil my obligations of feeding / nappy changes etc I can pick up and help out with your permissions! You know just to keep things ticking over... Lol...

In all seriousness all the very best with it all.

WH
    Thanks for the offer mate but your alright! going to book op for mid November to give me Xmas to get over it...work is going to be a real problem but the shooting , I'm going to crawl to a high seat if I have to , perhaps you can drive me and help on the fallow though WH

I know when my mate had a bunion op he was off work for 5mths. Reckons he'll never wear his heels again

The duration of time on crutches depends in the type of bunionectomy you are having. Six weeks is a pretty good estimate. If the toes are involved it may require pinning the reworked joint with Jurgen Balls. You will have a boot on and pin tips protruding from the toes for the duration of the recovery, at which time they are removed -usually in a podiatrist's office. Depending on your pain meds and mental constitution, you will be anywhere from miserable to 'bothered' during the first week or so. Plan in keeping the foot elevated for the first few days and making a 'tent' over the affected foot when you sleep. Good luck.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    The duration of time on crutches depends in the type of bunionectomy you are having. Six weeks is a pretty good estimate. If the toes are involved it may require pinning the reworked joint with Jurgen Balls. You will have a boot on and pin tips protruding from the toes for the duration of the recovery, at which time they are removed -usually in a podiatrist's office. Depending on your pain meds and mental constitution, you will be anywhere from miserable to 'bothered' during the first week or so. Plan in keeping the foot elevated for the first few days and making a 'tent' over the affected foot when you sleep. Good luck.~Muir
    Thanks Muir, by all accounts it will be a pretty standard op, I hope no pinning will be required though they are talking of cutting one bone with a scarf joint and resetting it(perhaps this is where pins may be involved), shaving the joint itself and perhaps doing something with the big toe bone

Quote Originally Posted by liongeorge View Post
    Thanks Muir, by all accounts it will be a pretty standard op, I hope no pinning will be required though they are talking of cutting one bone with a scarf joint and resetting it(perhaps this is where pins may be involved), shaving the joint itself and perhaps doing something with the big toe bone
    That is usually the pinning part, needed to hold the toe in alignment as it heals.
    There are no 'standard' ops. I think there are about 5 different forms of bunionectomy. Here the Austin -Akin is the most prevalent in a situation like yours,~Muir