Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carbide dies

carbide dies

Anyone know a good reliable source of carbide rifle dies, I know these are available in the states, so not just for straight wall pistol type cases, I'm looking for a separate .223 rem neck sizer, & separate .223 rem full length sizer, not fussed about the maker, just good quality.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Are these the dies were you dont need to lube the case's, or am i thinking of something else

Lube is supposedly not required when the cases are straight walled, I personally would lube anyway, the expander ball is also carbide as well so much harder wearing.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Carbide rifle dies will stick a case like cement if not lubed. Straight walled cases (like pistol) only have a short carbide ring that does the sizing. In a rifle caliber , they are built for longevity. Commercial makers use them but sale for private owners is more hype than help. JHMO, of course. I have die sets that are hardened steel and have been in use for three or four decades...~Muir

I use dillon carbide dies in .223 for loading match ammo for the ar15.
    You still nead the faintest smear of lube on the side of every fourth case even with carbide dies.I just churn out a box full, then wet a rag with panelwipe and wipe the loaded round down quickly before it goes into the cartridge box.
    The dillon dies are top quality, and can be used on an ordinary press. They aren,t cheap, but dillon will ship here, no problem at all.

Looks like it's Dillon then.

If its not a daft question why is lubing the cases such a problem?

There was no issue on lubing the dies, I was just after something a bit more hard wearing. Steve.

Steve: Try this once: Take a standard resizing die and mic across the threads. Now take a bar of brass and rub it across these threads until you wear a thousandth of an inch off of the diameter. Get back to us when you're through....(we won't hold our breath!) ~Muir

Andy, just missed a bit of crud in a die, I thought maybe a carbide might have shrugged it off?