Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mannlicher SSG .308 Police model

Mannlicher SSG .308 Police model

Open to offers on my .308 Mannlicher SSG Police model

Black stock/action, oversize bolt handle, 5 shot mag, 30mm Apel mounts, Reflex T8 moderator.

reason for sale is the barrel is pitted/shot out and needs replacing.

Location Fife, Scotland.

PM for further details

Good honest post Ben. Can you drop me a message with an idea of the ammount that you are looking for please. In the meantime, I will look into the cost of rebarelling. I suspect that this may be quite considerable as I have heard that they are a barsteward to get the barrels in and out of but its worth looking into. Best wishes, JC

Thank you for all enquiries, no longer available.

Mannlichers are shrunk or sweated into the action, which makes it very difficult to remove them even with heat treatment. I have seen it attempted on an SSG í69 and itís just not worth the hassle.

They CAN be rebarreled by cutting off the barrel in front of the receiver and then threading the inside of the receiver and remaining stump of the barrel to turn it into a normal threaded barrel and action, but it will probably cost more than the finished rifle is worth and be a right ball ache.

Quote Originally Posted by JC275 View Post
    Good honest post Ben. Can you drop me a message with an idea of the ammount that you are looking for please. In the meantime, I will look into the cost of rebarelling. I suspect that this may be quite considerable as I have heard that they are a barsteward to get the barrels in and out of but its worth looking into. Best wishes, JC

I was asked to get a price to rebarrell one at the begining of this year calum ferguson quoted £1200 to rebarrel and proof ,threading was extra
    when a new one is around £1600 its not worth it

steve

Quote Originally Posted by hunterscabin View Post
    I was asked to get a price to rebarrell one at the begining of this year calum ferguson quoted £1200 to rebarrel and proof ,threading was extra
    when a new one is around £1600 its not worth it

steve
    Yes Steve, thats pretty much what I thought. I was just enquiring in case Ben wanted £10 for the rifle and somewhere there was a riflesmith that just did it for the challenge and a pint of Guiness! I suppose that sort of luck never comes my way. Also, there was a bit of 'old times sake' coming into it as I used to shoot a Mannlicher Professional and wished I'd never sold it, thought that an SSG might be fun.

Thanks for your message Ben.

JC

I'd love to know how many rounds went through that barrell to shoot it out.

Mine's has had over 3,000 rounds and is still sub MOA.

The rifle i know of , belongs to a hill stalker in aberdeenshire
    he thinks he has had it for 15 years or so, and estimates between 250 and 350 rounds a year

that is about 3750 to 5000 rounds all of which have been factory rounds

steve

Surely it wouldnt be too difficult for a good machinist to remove all the old barrel and cut a thread in the receiver. Maybe i am missing something never having owned this type of rifle.

Hell, ,i better start saving for its replacement..i only have another 1,000 rounds left in the barrel