Thread: getting back to it

getting back to it

i gave up shooting a year ago because i didnt get the enjoyment out of it that i used to. the deer shooting i gave up two years ago.lately i have been starting to miss it again. i have been looking at what i would get back to and what to buy. if i am to go back to deer im thinking t3 super varmint in 308. if its fox control im thinking same rifle in 223. and mainly rabbits and the odd fox hmr. just wondering what any of the members would do. all help is appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by tikka 3006 View Post
    i gave up shooting a year ago because i didnt get the enjoyment out of it that i used to. the deer shooting i gave up two years ago.lately i have been starting to miss it again. i have been looking at what i would get back to and what to buy. if i am to go back to deer im thinking t3 super varmint in 308. if its fox control im thinking same rifle in 223. and mainly rabbits and the odd fox hmr. just wondering what any of the members would do. all help is appreciated
    Why would you want a 'super varmint' for deer hunting?? T-3 Lite in 308 is better choice unless your hunting position is completely static.~Muir

i just like the rifle have had it in different calibers over the years would like to get one again. also i prefer a heavy barrel rather than a light one

I would go for a cheaper .308 for deer, a good .223 for fox etc (good resale value if you choose to exit again and cheap to feed. Finally a .17 hornet with a nightsight for fox and rabbits, maybe a .22 for subsonic stuff - get a weaver rail for the .17 hornet and the .22 and you can swap a new digiscope back and forth for fox/rabbits quietly. Strange as it may seem - I have these tools too - very satisfying and flexible. The digisight has three zero settings and is easily swapped between weaver railsand is good light or totally dark.

I have the Tikka T3 varmint in .308 for stalking, wildcat evolution moderator and find it a great rifle. I had the lite version in .308 and just couldn't get to grips with it.
    I have a Sako 75 in .223 for fox and a 17 HMR & .22 (both CZ 452's) for rabbit / vermin. I also have the T3 varmint in .243 which is a good all round rifle but the barrel + DM80 moderator is a bit long for woodland stalking.
    This combination works fine for me and covers everything. I like the Sako / Tikka rifles though.

Question is what did you have before? Was you happy with it? Are you starting again from scratch and looking for new or second hand? It could be expensive.
    I had a year of not enjoying it any more when I lost both my dogs close together so I know that feeling.
    I wish you all the best, hope you get the spark & enjoyment back,
    Wingy