Thread: License renewalGot

License renewalGot

Got to send my ticket in for renewal ,at the moment got a 17 hmr,17 hornet plus 204.Thinking of putting 243 down on application just wandering do i need to do a dsc 1 course to apply for 243.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby18 View Post
    Got to send my ticket in for renewal ,at the moment got a 17 hmr,17 hornet plus 204.Thinking of putting 243 down on application just wandering do i need to do a dsc 1 course to apply for 243.

No but it can help, what is your "good reason"?

Was thinking in the near future of getting rid of 204,and put 243 down as a foxing calibre,and maybe do a dsc later on.

If you can verify access to fox shooting then you should be OK, I think that .243 may be listed in HO Guidance as dual purpose.

If your force and FEO are ameniable to a .243 as a primarily fox rifle then you should be fine. When I applied Sussex would grant a .243 to a new applicant solely for fox but now they will not grant a .243 on a first application without prior experience and are unlikely to grant it for fox alone. It just highlights how times change and what was good last month/year isn't any more.

Just have all the answers ready for why you need the .243 (answers are easy to find if you know the questions) and you *should* be able to get one without any bother.

It's not about what they are "amenable" to. The HO guidance is quite clear that it is up to the shooter to decide what calibre is suitable, and unless a calibre is patently unsuitable due to being under powered (asking for .22LR for boar for example) they should allow it. Fox is even included in the HO guidance table as suitable good reason for .243. If they try to get shirty, show them the HO guidance and ask them why they don't think that fox is good reason.