Thread: fallow

fallow

i have just got back from a little bit of a look about for a fox and on my way back i had an enormous suprise when i bumped into 6 fallow (4 bucks and 2 does) i backed up slowly as they were only 50yrds away and left them quite, once i backed off another 2 showed so in total i have 8 fallow. i would obviously like to keep the fallow on the ground or at least in the general area, there used to be fallow on the ground about 15yrs ago in good numbers but they were shot out by an old stalker as well as being poached hard. i know nothing about fallow and im wondering if they will stay or are they just wondering through and what can i do to keep them so as maybe one day when they return to there former numbers i may be able to start to stalk them or is this just a flash in the pan

Hi, Very hard question not knowing your area or terrain and habitat. I stalk Fallow a lot, some place's here today gone tomorrow. Fallow do have a habit of wandering, find some where quit an stay till desturbed. If it was me i would look for slot's an Deer rack's an try to see if this is a one off. Under the cover of darkness it is surprising where they turn up. Sorry i can not be of more help Good luck and hope they stay.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Just my experience, but the problem we have where I stalk is that fallow have such large territories it is difficult to know when you might see them next. We might see them regularly for three or four weeks and then not see them again for six months whilst they're hefted onto someone else's ground.

On another piece of land I used to have the stalking on, I'd occasionally see the fallow transiting through, but when they got to the neighbour's ground they were pretty much shot on sight. That's what made managing the fallow next to impossible.

willie_gunn

My experience of the fallow locally is that they are fairly transient and unpredictable in their movements although generally staying within a fairly large overall territory. What I have noticed more and more over the past 2 years is that I am seeing fallow outside of their normal territorial boundaries, not very far outside but where I'd not seen or heard any reports of them before.

Your deer might have just been passing through or your ground is now within their territory and they will return from time to time. What is probably not the case is that they are even substantially camped in your ground and therefore you will not be able to manage them.

My friends and I have patches of stalking over about 4 miles or more. There is one fallow buck in particular who is very noticable and we all see him at various times of the year. He is a melanistic with a white patch on his right rump, it's about the size of a beermat and shows up well.

I find that, depending on the time of year, they are very transitory. We have lots of small spinnys, and rough patches following small streams that the deer use as highways over intensively farmed land. Futher up the hill there are bigger woods and permanent pasture, and there are herds of fallow there nearly all the time.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

thanks for your replyies chaps and it is as i thought they are probely just passing through, and to be honest i should really take the opertunity to take a buck whilst they are there but its a long story and the fallow where i am have been pusicuted basicaly just for money and to be honest i dont think its right for me to take one just because they turnt up i really hope that in years to come that they become resident again but not for the stalking aspect but because they belong there

and to be honest i dont think its right for me to take one just because they turnt up i really hope that in years to come that they become resident again but not for the stalking aspect but because they belong there[/QUOTE]

Take my hat off to you, there are a lot out there who would have just shot one. Top Man

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    Much respect your way for having that notion of leaving them!!!!!
    Hopefully the fallow will return to your ground as a 'sanctuary'. They are indeed transient and have a large area that they frequent......but if they are persecuted elsewhere within this area you may find them visiting your patch more often, and if the habitat is favourable some may set up territory on your patch, particularly if there's a good buck looking to make a new 'stand' of his own.

Best of luck!

steveM

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    thanks for your replyies chaps and it is as i thought they are probely just passing through, and to be honest i should really take the opertunity to take a buck whilst they are there but its a long story and the fallow where i am have been pusicuted basicaly just for money and to be honest i dont think its right for me to take one just because they turnt up i really hope that in years to come that they become resident again but not for the stalking aspect but because they belong there
    Crongrats on your restraint and respect I too tip my hat to you sir, sounds okie you will make one he'll of a deer manager.
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................