Thread: My New 223 AICS rifle from Jager SA

My New 223 AICS rifle from Jager SA

Picked up my first of two rifles I have ordered from James at the weekend and it is spot on.

I had a rough idea what I was after and the more important part a budget! People on here recommended I spoke to James after I put up my request for a good reliable gun smith and could do it within my budget. Allot of people thought the budget was far too low but James was confident and he delivered! The gun came in on budget and his advice was invaluable, along with everyone who recommended him, so thank you for that.

So the rifles, this is the first of 2 he is building me, the second is nearly finished but I needed the 223 quicker than the 7mm-08 so I picked it up early. I kept the specs pretty similar between the 2 so that I can switch between them with very little learning.

Both are set in AICS chassis, Bergara button barrels in Varmint profile (possibly heavier) with rifle basix triggers. Each with a different colour treatment of Cerakote.

Zero'd the rifle in at the weekend which took 8 shots to get it spot on at 100 yards, should have been less but that was my fault.

I then proceeded to fire 3 shots to check the grouping. I hadn't had the time to do any loads up yet for it, so I used some factory Hornady ammo I had lying around with 40gr heads, a bit light but I thought it would be fine to zero with. I hadn't sorted my bipod mount out yet either so ended up just shooting it off the bonnet of the truck on a bag I had in the back. Considering all of that and the barrel not even settled in yet I am very happy with the results!

A big thanks to James for an awesome rifle and the great price, can't wait to pick up it's big brother.

I haven't had a chance to take any decent pictures that do the gun justice really but these give you an idea.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0263.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	59785Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0266.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	59786Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0267.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	59787

James can build a rifle can't he.

he does seem have a knack for it im well pleased how mine has performed over the last year ish

Superb job - now out to earn those fox sniper stripes
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

that is really nice, i said after spending 4k on my custom 7-08 i would never again go down the custom route, however after seeing this thread i am looking at the .223 slot on my ticket trying not to contact james
    dam you all
    7mm-08 of course!

Yep it now needs to get to work and just in time for the harvest.

Go for it, you know you won't be disappointed and especially at the price's James charges.

Wow! That looks the 'Mutts Nuts"!
    That's a very impressive group for factory ammo too! Might be worth just measuring it and trying to replicate it?
    MS

Funny thing gun plumbing this is what my Jager SA built semi custom does even though i cut the barrel down to 16" !

This is one of 3 groups i shot just to make sure it wasnt a fluke!

Attachment 59822Attachment 59823
    Last edited by leec6.5; 04-08-2015 at 10:48.

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by leec6.5 View Post
    Funny thing gun plumbing this is what my Jager SA built semi custom does even though i cut the barrel down to 16" !

This is one of 3 groups i shot just to make sure it wasnt a fluke!

Attachment 59822Attachment 59823
    James recently shortened the barrel on my 7mm-'08 to about 18'' and it now shoots better than it did before. The first, fairly random, load that I made for it using 120grn Barnes TTSX's and a charge one grain under book max was as good as any that I have previously put a lot of work into. With the price of bullets, I'm going to simply leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmcface View Post
    Picked up my first of two rifles I have ordered from James at the weekend and it is spot on.

I had a rough idea what I was after and the more important part a budget! People on here recommended I spoke to James after I put up my request for a good reliable gun smith and could do it within my budget. Allot of people thought the budget was far too low but James was confident and he delivered! The gun came in on budget and his advice was invaluable, along with everyone who recommended him, so thank you for that.

So the rifles, this is the first of 2 he is building me, the second is nearly finished but I needed the 223 quicker than the 7mm-08 so I picked it up early. I kept the specs pretty similar between the 2 so that I can switch between them with very little learning.

Both are set in AICS chassis, Bergara button barrels in Varmint profile (possibly heavier) with rifle basix triggers. Each with a different colour treatment of Cerakote.

Zero'd the rifle in at the weekend which took 8 shots to get it spot on at 100 yards, should have been less but that was my fault.

I then proceeded to fire 3 shots to check the grouping. I hadn't had the time to do any loads up yet for it, so I used some factory Hornady ammo I had lying around with 40gr heads, a bit light but I thought it would be fine to zero with. I hadn't sorted my bipod mount out yet either so ended up just shooting it off the bonnet of the truck on a bag I had in the back. Considering all of that and the barrel not even settled in yet I am very happy with the results!

A big thanks to James for an awesome rifle and the great price, can't wait to pick up it's big brother.

I haven't had a chance to take any decent pictures that do the gun justice really but these give you an idea.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0263.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	59785Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0266.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	59786Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0267.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	59787

Looking good, those groups are tidy with just Factory fodder, reloads will be even better.

Cost effective Gun Plumbing.