8 mm Mauser

A Guy Out West

Suprised I don't hear more about this round on the site, it's an excellent one. I have a Persian Mauser built by Bruno in 1935, that is a master piece. The workmanship is top shelf. Still shoots like a dream. Only complaint is that the sights are very fine. I couldn't imagine trying to shoot it in low light. We shoot 1940s Turkish ball out of it and any other surplus stuff we can find. Always a good swabbing with Sweets 7.62 afterwords.

Sounds nice ! I had a FN Carbine in 8x57 I stupidly sold....it loved 196 grain Norma....I really miss it.....

I thought I was the only one!! I have a Persian 98 musketoon gem Brno and it's the finest mauser I have ever handled: and I have handled a LOT. I love it to bits but as a military rifle its not going to work so I will be making it a 404j keeping the military safety, trigger, and turned down bolt handle but with a custom peep sight for boar and dangerous game ie buffallo ( as I very seriously do not agree with the shooting of the other 4 DG species)

I dunno about Portland, but we're governed by pretty strict rules on both firearms ownership and what calibres we can use for Deer over here.
I bet you could walk into any gunshop in the land and find some .243, .270 or maybe .308 with a suitable stalking load.
As far as 8mm Mauser goes, I think you might struggle to get anything other than FMJ without having to order it.
I've nothing against the Mauser, it's just the way the UK's set up.
Happy shooting !

Musketoon... mine does not have turned down bolt. Never heard of a Musketoon, I'll be checking my books tonight.

I've owned and used a number of 8mm's over the years , it's probably one of the most under appreciated cartridges out there . The last one I owned was a sporterized VZ- 24 . I took a few head of game with it and then gave it to a young friend as his first big game rifle . He's taken two nice White-Tail bucks with it and it's now his go to rifle . I've always used 196 to 200 grain cup and core bullets in them ,they work perfectly on everything from deer to moose . Add that to the fact it does it with easily controlled recoil and it is a mystery why it isn't more popular . Muir is excepted , I know he has a very nice one in his collection lol . You can pick up a nice old husky in 8mm up here for under $ 400 Canadian . I picked one up for a friend of mine who recently immigrated here from Scotland . I got it for $375 plus tax . It will put five rounds into about an inch and a half ( 200 gr Speer and IMR 4064 ) with no trouble , it will keep three rounds under an inch for those who prefer three shot groups . All in , used Leopold M8 4X included , it cost about six hundred bucks . That's a pretty good price for a rifle built on one of the most reliable actions ever designed , chambered in an easily controlled round that's more than capable of cleanly taking any game we have ............ I think I need another one lol .

AB

Last edited:
Fidget,
You can walk into most any convenience store and get those loads, especially in the south. In the country out here too. I'll take a candy bar, a slurpee, and a box of .44 mag. Sorry you have to deal with those rules, likely that will be the way over here soon too.

Used my Parker Hale 8mm with a 6x Burris and Norma 196gr ammo for years. Took many red hinds, fallow and a few munties with no problems at all. It has sat in the safe for a couple of seasons now but might just give it a trip out on the fallow bucks later this week.

I heard a story that Parker Hale were asked to chamber these sporters in 8mm primarily for the Australian market after huge amounts of surplus 8mm ammo (Egyptian?) landed on the market. It was brand new and very cheap, doubt it would be worth very much now in the UK but a good piece of kit never the less.

Used my Parker Hale 8mm with a 6x Burris and Norma 196gr ammo for years. Took many red hinds, fallow and a few munties with no problems at all. It has sat in the safe for a couple of seasons now but might just give it a trip out on the fallow bucks later this week.

I heard a story that Parker Hale were asked to chamber these sporters in 8mm primarily for the Australian market after huge amounts of surplus 8mm ammo (Egyptian?) landed on the market. It was brand new and very cheap, doubt it would be worth very much now in the UK but a good piece of kit never the less.

I've heard of PH's clambered in 8mm but I've never seen one . It wouldn't last long if it were up for sale here . Parker Hales are still very well thought of in Alberta , though it doesn't seem that they are that popular in the UK .

AB

The Persian Mauser is like fine sporting rifle, which is why so many of them, and the Argentine 1909 by DWM, were made into custom sporting rifles.
I have an 1888 Commission Rifle, a K98, a Turkish Mauser, a Yugo 24/47, a Yugo M48, a Sporting Mauser from the late 1930s by J.P. Sauer, and a Mauser Type A in 8x60S... oh, and a 16ga/8x57JRS combination gun. I had a Brno 8x60S stutzen.

The Turk ammo is hot, and accurate. I pulled some bullets and the flake powder load was identical in every round. Reloaded that powder and bullet into a commercial case and new primer, and it shot tiny groups, too. So now, I am pulling bullets and loading this powder under a 150-gr Sierra for hunting. The Turk, M24/47, M48, and Sauer all love warm loads of 195/196/200 gr bullets.

Alberta boy - there is a pretty mint scoped PH 8mm/7.92 up for sale in the next auction at Gleneagles ( gavingardiner.com ) lot 21 - estimate £80-£120.

A real bargain I'm sure you'll agree, much under appreciated over here.

Alberta boy - there is a pretty mint scoped PH 8mm/7.92 up for sale in the next auction at Gleneagles ( gavingardiner.com ) lot 21 - estimate £80-£120.

A real bargain I'm sure you'll agree, much under appreciated over here.

That's about half of what you'd pay for one in 06 , let alone 8mm . to bad it's so much grief to bring one over here .

AB

.......We shoot 1940s Turkish ball out of it and any other surplus stuff we can find.

That's a hell of a way to treat a "masterpiece".
I have a few 8x57 including two "J" bores. My favorite are three Husqvarna 648 commercial sporters. All with the fixed iron sights regulated for 196 grain hunting ammo. PPU makes this round and it is readily available in several shops in my area. It shoots well from the Huskies. I like 206 grain cast bullets at highway speeds. I have used these to take a couple deer as they shoot as well as I can hold. My favorite practice is knocking down bowling pins off hand at 100 yards. Not as hard as it might sound with these rifles.~Muir

I clean it right after shooting with Sweets 7.62, barrel and bolt face. The bolt and barrel look like they are brand new. 800 rounds of Turkish through it, another 800 or so of Romanian.

That's a hell of a way to treat a "masterpiece".
I have a few 8x57 including two "J" bores. My favorite are three Husqvarna 648 commercial sporters. All with the fixed iron sights regulated for 196 grain hunting ammo. PPU makes this round and it is readily available in several shops in my area. It shoots well from the Huskies. I like 206 grain cast bullets at highway speeds. I have used these to take a couple deer as they shoot as well as I can hold. My favorite practice is knocking down bowling pins off hand at 100 yards. Not as hard as it might sound with these rifles.~Muir

Ha ha , I didn't know you had three of them though . Those old Huskies are easy to get hooked on aren't they .

AB

Back