Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long doe the Roe Rut typically last for?

How long doe the Roe Rut typically last for?

Would it be right to assume that the rut goes on for as long at the does are in Oestrus? Again assuming that there is some variation from doe to doe, the length of the rut would be essentially when the first doe comes into oestrus to the last one (within a certain territory/area).
    If those assumptions are correct then the question I should be asking is "typically how long is roe doe in oestrus?" Is that right?
    Cheers
    Bilbo

3 weeks (+/- 1 week) ?

just a guess

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    Would it be right to assume that the rut goes on for as long at the does are in Oestrus? Again assuming that there is some variation from doe to doe, the length of the rut would be essentially when the first doe comes into oestrus to the last one (within a certain territory/area).
    If those assumptions are correct then the question I should be asking is "typically how long is roe doe in oestrus?" Is that right?
    Cheers
    Bilbo

A roe doe can be in oestrus anything from a couple of hours to a maximum of five days the average would appear to be around 48 hours.

I agree with the above comments, but can also add that the timing of the rut can vary from the south of the UK to the north, which would suggest that the general better warmer weather down south usually means the rut taking place earlier, than for example where I live and stalk in Galloway, SW Scotland.

Agree with the above and weather is an important factor. Safe to say it starts some time in July and finishes some time in August over a 3 week window that may not be 3 consecutive weeks if the weather is not consistent in that 3 weeks. So it can start and stop. Also in the autumn there is a positivity of the false rut.

We seem to get good rutting late july but its starting to fade now seeing does out feeding with Kids a sure sign there done.

Do male roe deer perform flehmen on females urine?

My guess is that like every other deer they will. There is a second olfactory organ in the roof of their mouth which is linked to the part of the brain which controls sexual behaviour (peak rut behaviour). If the girls aren't in oestrous then the boys won't exhibit "peak rut behaviour". I would assume that like every other deer species (including tropical) that the oestrus cycle is controlled/triggered by day length. So it's the girls which control the rut, not the boys. Girls which aren't filled on their first cycle will cycle 18-21 days later, the boys will perform flehmen & this will trigger "peak rut behaviour" again. This can be repeated for several cycles if the girls fail to conceive. This is not good for herd health & game managers need to understand the processes which extend the breeding season.

Hunters all over the world love to bang on about the rut being late or early, but it will never be more than a few days, even under unusual weather conditions. Also for discussion, the moon has zero effect.

Sharkey
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    Do male roe deer perform flehmen on females urine?

My guess is that like every other deer they will. There is a second olfactory organ in the roof of their mouth which is linked to the part of the brain which controls sexual behaviour (peak rut behaviour). If the girls aren't in oestrous then the boys won't exhibit "peak rut behaviour". I would assume that like every other deer species (including tropical) that the oestrus cycle is controlled/triggered by day length. So it's the girls which control the rut, not the boys. Girls which aren't filled on their first cycle will cycle 18-21 days later, the boys will perform flehmen & this will trigger "peak rut behaviour" again. This can be repeated for several cycles if the girls fail to conceive. This is not good for herd health & game managers need to understand the processes which extend the breeding season.

Hunters all over the world love to bang on about the rut being late or early, but it will never be more than a few days, even under unusual weather conditions. Also for discussion, the moon has zero effect.

Sharkey
    Sharkey you are correct in what you say apart from Roe don't normally cycle a second time I say not normally , its not unknown but its rare.

And the moon has an effect on the rut in Roe deer in as much if the moon is ascending you will see less activity
    and around the time of the full moon hardly any, for the simple fact that while the rut continues as normal most of the activity is at night under the moon,.

Sharkey

Willie_Gunn posted a brilliant photo of a Roe buck exhibiting flehmen under RoeRut 2015 started by digger9523 I gave the explanation post 31 and he kindly reposted the photo post 33

Roe are monoestrous and are normally 24 to 48 hours in oestrous and after the primary mating will mate with every passing fancy while in oestrous. There is a false rut towards end of October which is put down to precocious doe kids who have had a good start in life, namely a ' milky doe ' and good browse. The bucks don't suddenly become infertile after the full rut.

Contrary to perceived wisdom local climatic conditions have nil effect on the absolute rut start date and duration which does vary very slightly year on year. It is controlled by ratio of light/darkness and experienced stalkers e.g. Bogtrotter et al can predict the start to within a day or 2 on their patch by due observation and recording over the years.

Having posted about nil climatic conditions the researchers on the Isle of Rum have recently published a paper suggesting a 15 day earlier start of the rut in Red deer, although a further paper on DNA of the same deer revealed various sources of deer as the Victorians were great ones for moving deer around.Has this had an effect ?Obviously the date advance will have to be confirmed or negated by a different team.

Other British female deer have a 18 -20 day cycle and will repeat until they catch although Muntjac (non indigenous tropical) have a +/- 85 % pregnancy rate on first oestrous which is size dependent not light/darkness ratio.I have seen both Red and Fallow young in October but these normally fail to thrive and become casualties over winter

morena

I observed a buck displaying flehmen behaviour while stalking on the 11th July in Gloucestershire. I guess the hormones werent at the required level as while he was relatively closely attending the doe there was no direct interaction.

Novice