Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer identification

Deer identification

I am doing the DSC1 in December (in Essex where I live). Currently studying the material but I would be very interested in any 'tests' that exist for identification of species? Can anybody point me to any resources online or for reasonable cost elsewhere?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

The BDS manual is very good. I also bought another manual (I forget who produced it) that wasn't so good.

I studied my DSC1 with Jelen who had an excellent on line training service, and I spent many hours working through the deer identification section.

Quote Originally Posted by nicowilson View Post
    I studied my DSC1 with Jelen who had an excellent on line training service, and I spent many hours working through the deer identification section.
    +1
    i used their interactive learning thingy online in the lead up to my DSC1 and it made it very easy to learn the material!

I used this and found it very helpful with the theory and identification questions. Well worth it.

http://dsctraining.org/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by nicowilson View Post
    The BDS manual is very good. I also bought another manual (I forget who produced it) that wasn't so good.

I should also add that I passed first time with Jelen.

who are you doing yours with mty ?

DSC training .org

a tenner a month, just pay for a month and you'll be reet,

good luck

kjf

Quote Originally Posted by shoughton View Post
    I am doing the DSC1 in December (in Essex where I live). Currently studying the material but I would be very interested in any 'tests' that exist for identification of species? Can anybody point me to any resources online or for reasonable cost elsewhere?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

Steve, If you send me an email address I'll send you a couple of files containing pictures that I use for ID revision. They don't have the answers on them so you will have to work it out for yourself using only the information that you can see in the pictures. This may sound challenging but you have more chance of retaining the knowledge if you have to push yourself a little. Glyn.

That sounds good advice. My email is steve.houghton@btinternet.com

Thanks

Steve

I'm not suggesting that you don't read the manual, as it's full of good info. Most of it is more relevant to Level 2, though, and doesn't actually get tested in Level 1. In terms of the Level 1 tests, if you memorise the answers to every question on dsctraining.org (which contains answers and tips as well as the questions), then you are guaranteed to pass your dsc1 easily, as they are the actual questions. (The questions are in the manual too, but not the answers).

I have no connection other than that I used it.