Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 stopped grouping

.22 stopped grouping

It's all gone bad

Since getting loads of advice and help off this site when I first bought my brno #2 (and couldn't shoot for toffee), and putting in lots of practice, I've got used to groups which are more-or-less single holes at 50 paces; headshooting bunnies out to 80 yards with ease; and even the occasional 100 yd+ bunny.
    Now it's all gone to pot! Literally overnight. One day it was fine, knocking over rabbits as usual, then the next day it was all over the place. Missed every rabbit I shot at. Went home and tried it on a target, which ended up looking like it had been raked with a machine gun not punched with a precision rifle!
    At this point I ran out of ammo. At long last managed to restock, and have another go. Gave the barrel a good clean, which improved things a bit - but not enough to trust it on rabbits beyond 50 yards. Tried firing a group without the mod (a parker-hale), which was much tighter, so dismantled the mod and cleaned that too - it was really crusted up. A lot better after that, but still big groups - as much as 1.5" at 50 yards, which is no good.
    I did notice, when cleaning the mod, that one of the baffles in the middle of the stack has been clipped slightly. This hadn't happened last time I cleaned the mod, and looked fairly recent.
    So, how can one baffle in the middle be clipped and all the others be ok?
    What could have caused a bullet to clip it?
    Is this slight damage sufficient to wreck my groups?
    Or is there some other underlying cause that's resulted in both the poor grouping and the damage to the mod?

Any suggestions welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    It's all gone bad

Since getting loads of advice and help off this site when I first bought my brno #2 (and couldn't shoot for toffee), and putting in lots of practice, I've got used to groups which are more-or-less single holes at 50 paces; headshooting bunnies out to 80 yards with ease; and even the occasional 100 yd+ bunny.
    Now it's all gone to pot! Literally overnight. One day it was fine, knocking over rabbits as usual, then the next day it was all over the place. Missed every rabbit I shot at. Went home and tried it on a target, which ended up looking like it had been raked with a machine gun not punched with a precision rifle!
    At this point I ran out of ammo. At long last managed to restock, and have another go. Gave the barrel a good clean, which improved things a bit - but not enough to trust it on rabbits beyond 50 yards. Tried firing a group without the mod (a parker-hale), which was much tighter, so dismantled the mod and cleaned that too - it was really crusted up. A lot better after that, but still big groups - as much as 1.5" at 50 yards, which is no good.
    I did notice, when cleaning the mod, that one of the baffles in the middle of the stack has been clipped slightly. This hadn't happened last time I cleaned the mod, and looked fairly recent.
    So, how can one baffle in the middle be clipped and all the others be ok?
    What could have caused a bullet to clip it?
    Is this slight damage sufficient to wreck my groups?
    Or is there some other underlying cause that's resulted in both the poor grouping and the damage to the mod?

Any suggestions welcome...
    I can tell you what it isn't. It isn't the rifle proper. Rifles just don't stop grouping over night. Might be the moderator, the LOT of ammo... whatever... but it's not the rifle unless you did something to it. Quit cleaning the rifle, btw. It does nothing to aid grouping. A scant drop of oil on a patch down the bore, two dry patches to follow: That's all it needs, if that.~Muir

You did use the alignment rod when re-assembling the moderator baffle stack didn't you?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I can tell you what it isn't. It isn't the rifle proper. Rifles just don't stop grouping over night. Might be the moderator, the LOT of ammo... whatever... but it's not the rifle unless you did something to it. Quit cleaning the rifle, btw. It does nothing to aid grouping. A scant drop of oil on a patch down the bore, two dry patches to follow: That's all it needs, if that.~Muir
    Muirs right but just check your stock screws havnt come loose as well or maybe your just having a bad shooting day

Had the same thing with my 17 don't waste any more ammo till you borrow a second scope mine just gave up over night tried a mates spare and grouped like always had

Is it a free floating barrel?
    if so check the barrel channel is still clear of the barrel also check no grit or similar has been trapped between stock and barrel....

Is there a chance that the crown might have been damaged between the rifle firing well and badly? Or corroded if you left the mod on after shooting?

Its a pity you didnít retain some of the ammo that was producing 50M bughole groups as this would be one less variable to ponder.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

VSS - You ask if the slight clipping on just one baffle is enough to effect your grouping - The simple answer is yes! It sounds like the one baffle was reassembles slightly out of lile when you previously stripped and cleaned the moderator. If it were me I would straight away try shooting the rifle without the moderator and see how it groups. If the grouping is back on par then you have your answer. Just out of interest what moderator are you using? - If it's a Parker Hale then you are surposed to use the ascembly rod to line up the baffles when reascembling it!
    I am assuming that you have carefully checked the crown for any slight damage - Its surprising how the smallest little dink in the crown can effect the way the rifle groups.
    The next thing would be to check all of the scope mounts are tight and that the barrel is fully floating (If the barrel was floating when it was grouping well)
    If all is well then it would pay to try to find someone with a spare scope and try that - You can get a scope "let go" any suddenly and without any warning - A knock when putting the rifle into the cabinet is very occasionally all it needs!
    It could be one of a hundred things that are causing the problem that you are suffering from but those are the things that I would check first!
    It is even possible that you have got a duff batch of ammo!
    The only cleaning my 22LR gets is the woodwork wiped down and oiled with a drop of walnut oil, a very lightly oiled cloth through the barrel every couple of hundred rounds and the action cleaned and oiled occasionally.
    Hope you get it sorted mate!

Just out of interest - What rifle is it? I once had an Anschutz 525 do exactly the same with me and it turned out to be the barrel locking screw which had come slightly loose - A quick 2 minutes with a screw driver had it back up on song.

Check all your screws. Action, scope mount etc.
    If your barrel is leading up it will gradually decrease in accuracy.
    My 1710 shoots awesome after a couple of patches of hoppes#9 followed by a few dry patches.
    Check the Mod. My bet its either that or a loose screw somewhere.