Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about it ?

Thinking about it ?

Hi All,

Now i'd like a little advice on the subject of reloading, after the recent problems over the 17hmr ammo I decided to go and buy myself a .22 hornet for a little long range rabbit shooting/foxing out to 200 yards, I absolutely love the calibre and it does everything i ask of it but the time has now come to consider whether to start reloading. I new when i bought the rifle that although factory ammo was a little pricey compared to a HMR, i would have the option to reload and hopefully get the cost a little morE comparable to the 17. I am seeking advice on whether i should buy individual items or should i go for a kit?, all i would say is i dont see the point in buying a kit if i then have to upgrade at a later date. I do also have a 25-06 calibre rifle which would also benefit from home loads, any advice would be greatfully received,
    Cheers Tom

Hi Tom
    I got a hornet for the same reasons you did but with the full intention of reloading for it, i got the rcbs rockchucker supreme reloading kit from JDReloading , 100 cheaper than anywhere else, you then need to get a die set, i also cast my own 44grn bullets with the cost of all the kit it will be a long time before i save any money ( if ever) but i do it as part of the hobby , just finished working up a load with cast bullets got them keyholed at 30 yrd on my garden range then last night got them out in the field and the are spot on at 80 to 150 yrd so realy pleased with that , turning scrap lead into accurate bullets is a great feeling
    BTW Lee does good kit at reasonable prices loads of people have them, I always wanted rcbs but could never afford it before, its up to you what you can afford, or just keep a look out on here lots of bargains going on here
    it doesnt mater whether you buy a kit or not you will ALWAYS want another gadget
    Cheers
    Ray
    Last edited by Ray7756; 05-08-2015 at 11:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray7756 View Post
    Hi Tom
    I got a hornet for the same reasons you did but with the full intention of reloading for it, i got the rcbs rockchucker supreme reloading kit from JDReloading , 100 cheaper than anywhere else, you then need to get a die set, i also cast my own 44grn bullets with the cost of all the kit it will be a long time before i save any money ( if ever) but i do it as part of the hobby , just finished working up a load with cast bullets got them keyholed at 30 yrd on my garden range then last night got them out in the field and the are spot on at 80 to 150 yrd so realy pleased with that , turning scrap lead into accurate bullets is a great feeling
    BTW Lee does good kit at reasonable prices loads of people have them, I always wanted rcbs but could never afford it before, its up to you what you can afford, or just keep a look out on here lots of bargains going on here
    it doesnt mater whether you buy a kit or not you will ALWAYS want another gadget
    Cheers
    Ray
    never truer words written

Went much the same route with the HMR issues, bought a lee anniversary kit and added rcbs 505 scales, 35gr VMax and lilgun, rifle came with dies.

Loading for around 30p a round and as accurate is I am, easily sub moa or better if I'm up to it, loading set up cost less than 200.00 all in and with LEE's cheapest dies and the same kit I've loaded 1/3 moa ammo for my .223 so why spend more?

Rather enjoy loading the hornet and looks like you may be fairly local so if you want to hook up for a chat about it drop me a PM
    Last edited by Boydy47; 05-08-2015 at 21:13.

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    I had a .22 Hornet once and really enjoyed it. The only problem I ever had in reloading for it was that the cases are paper thin and don't last very long. Using max but within safe loading data, I would only get 2 or 3 loadings before the cases craked. That is Rem and Win cases. Going down in loading pressure only made it a .22 magnum. The newer lighter bullets for it might allow you to download with acceptable results. Good luck, it's a classic.

You should approach reloading the 22 Hornet as you would ensnare a fair Lady.

No neck splitting required!

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Using lil gun pressures are kept down and case life is good

Thanks for the advice, i did have a little look at the lee classic, but not sure about all that hammering, do all the presses have to be bolted to a dedicated bench/table as i would like to be able to put all the kit in a box and then get it out when i need it.
    The problem I have is around 10 years ago I Came home one day with a small tool box and told my wife I was going to start fly tying because It was cheaper than buying flies, 10 years and probably a couple of thousand pounds later my collection of materials now takes over part of the house!

give ius a bell if you need any help 07879468878
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class