Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source of commercial satellite maps?

Source of commercial satellite maps?

I'm fed up with all the cutting, gluing and sticking involved in constructing decent sized high-resolution (1:5000 or better printed on A1 or A0 paper) satellite maps of my stalking grounds using free sources like Google Earth etc, as the area you can print is so small. Now that I have access to a large block of land in the west of Scotland, I'm looking for a source of fairly up to date commercial satellite maps, like the ones that timber companies use. I'd prefer a satellite map with some of the OS data overlaid on it (roads, rights of way, some topographic data).

Not having ready access to the ground as often as I'd like, I find that decent maps help me plan stalks and thoroughly 'learn the land', as well as noting key knowledge from each trips, such as wallows, feeding and couching areas.

I'm hoping such a thing is available at reasonable cost (sub-100 or so), as booking satellite time is a little outside the household budget at present...

Any ideas, links or contacts gratefully received.

Thanks,

Adam.

Adam,

I'm not to sure you'd get what your after for a 100 (it does depend upon the extent your after though). Not to sure that you can get OS overlaid on Aerial photography commercially either (although i stand to be corrected). I tried getting some land plans of my other halfs grandads farm, but at 30 odd quid for an A3 (the max they offered) it would have cost a fortune to cover the whole farm and this was without aerial underlaid on it.

Think you might struggle for the price your after although i'm sure there is a company out there that will do it.

Good luck.

Jim

Jim,

The budget's pretty flexible but I'm struggling to find a product!

The GIS planning system we have at work - only covering a single county unfortunately - allows various mixes and matches with satellite aerial images and topographic maps, but the licences cost 000s and I'd still need access to a radial arm printer etc. I need a mole in the Argyll planning department!

I agree that the aerial photography route is expensive as I'd need to buy about 30 images - plus I'd be back to the glue...

Adam.

Might there be some aerial shots of your ground belonging to the FC / gas board / utility co. or some such?, would be worth ringing around , if you locate some they might let you have copies for a charge?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Look on Flee Bay for Memory Map software, OS of the UK divided up onto 12 map areas if I remember right with all the extras you need to draw, mark, measure. Also allows you to do 3D OS mapping images so you can get an idea of the terrain, also allows you to do different angles to the ground, 90' down to probably 10'

Hope that helps

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock View Post
    Look on Flee Bay for Memory Map software, OS of the UK divided up onto 12 map areas if I remember right with all the extras you need to draw, mark, measure. Also allows you to do 3D OS mapping images so you can get an idea of the terrain, also allows you to do different angles to the ground, 90' down to probably 10'
    Do you know if that can combine with the OS Discoverer mapping that is available for the Garmin Oregon GPS units? Reason for asking is that I'm still finding my way around the 550T unit but the ability to use the geotagging facility of the built-in camera to record, (as Adam suggests) wallows, couches, racks - even shot sites for cull records, would be great to download to a PC based mapping application for print out.
    Last edited by Orion; 21-04-2010 at 12:24.

Adamant

Send a scan of your patch to richard.evans@getmapping.com

He will give you a quote for a digitised aerial photograph which you can then get printed at whatever scale you want.

regards

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Do you know if that can combine with the OS Discoverer mapping that is available for the Garmin Oregon GPS units? Reason for asking is that I'm still finding my way around the 550T unit but the ability to use the geotagging facility of the built-in camera to record, (as Adam suggests) wallows, couches, racks - even shot sites for cull records, would be great to download to a PC based mapping application for print out.

No Idea....Sorry

TJ

Adam what exactlly are you looking for the map/ariel photo Like the one gave to Trevor it can be blown up to A3 the problem is Ive knackered my printer carrage whilst cleaning it.
    Let me know .

Bob,

I'm after something a bit bigger than A3 but I may have it sorted now via a nice man with a bit of technical nouse, a radial arm colour printer and some very big sheets of paper.

By the way, on return from Scotland, I retired to the shed with the laptop and a pile of ballistics software. I've now got all of my different loads sorted with nice laminated ballistic charts out to 1000 yards (in 50 yard increments) - suddenly I think I've got a use for that tub of Reloader 17 powder, as it's time to load some seriously flat and fast 150gn rounds. So on the next trip, we'll have to set up those long range targets ready for you to do some long range coaching...

Now I just need to buy a scope with a decent ladder reticle - great as it is for stalking, the dot on my Meopta would obscure the moon at 1000 yards.

Adam.
    Last edited by Adamant; 21-04-2010 at 20:16.