Thread: Which members on here have had Lymes Disease

Which members on here have had Lymes Disease

Hi All,

I am aware there is currently another thread about Lymes disease on the Vets section, however I want to ask who on here has ever had (or thought they have had) Lymes Disease.
    I myself got it about 6 years ago. I had been experiencing arm pains and my wife noticed the circular red rash on my waist as I stepped out of the shower one day, and decided that it looked very unusual. I presented this to the doctor who put me on strong antibiotics for about 12 weeks if I remember right.

The rash started about 4 weeks after I had been bitten by the tick.I was in the shower again and suddenly experienced an intense itching on my waist and reached down and scratched it like crazy before realising it was a embedded tick. the scratching destroyed the tick and probably injected the bug into my blood stream. Up until that point I had been bitten loads of times by countless ticks without any problems

The doctor luckily, was Lymes aware, and when I showed him my rash actually got a camera from his car to photograph the rash which he described as a 'textbook case'. He said that there was no point in doing a blood test as it was notoriously unreliable at detecting the problem and it would slow down the start of treatment. Thank God he knew something about it, as there are still a lot of doctors that dont. Apparently he did a lot of hiking, and so know about Lymes in order to protect himself.

After the course of antibiotics I insisted on a blood test - which came back negative, however I still get joint pain in my arms and a frequent muscle pain in my neck/ base of my skull which I think could be long lasting effects of the disease.

My mate has also had it, but didnt get the rash, so could have had it for years....... He was suffering bad joint pain, and migrane headaches, and eventually became photosensitive before finally seeking help at the doctors. I know he feels the long term effects of his Lymes everyday.

How many others on here have similar stories????

Lakey

Hi Andy i had a dog which had the symtems of this after been bitten.
    Anti biotics sorted him though he was never 100% after and had a few fits in later life.??
    regards john.

I managed to catch it in West Sussex nearlt two years ago. My symptons were slightly different, but still unpleasant. Put on a course of antibiotics and is seemed to do the job. However if left Lymes disease can kill, or seriously screw you up. At the CLA last year there was one particular poor lady who had not been diagnosed correctly for a long time and the results were that she is now in a wheelchair and if I remember correctly had also lost the sight in one eye.

Lymes is spreading along the south coast, and Hampshire is another county where the son of an aquantance of mine contracted it last summer. The boy was only 3 years of age, and he ended up in Great Ormond Street Hospital. Fortunatly he was detected early and is now I believe recovered.

ATB

Sikamalc

Hi Andy,
    I myself dont have it, but a close friend of mine had Lymes Disease approx 6 year's ago and was very ill, he was taken into hospital in Edinburgh who could treat for Lymes Disease, he said at the time every joint in his body was killing him and the pain was terrible, he was on Antibiotics for months and was told he will suffer symtems of the Disease the rest of his life, and it does affect him every day.
    your's Wullie.
    Your a long time dead, enjoy every day like it's your last!!!

Quote Originally Posted by black lab View Post
    Hi Andy,
    I myself dont have it, but a close friend of mine had Lymes Disease approx 6 year's ago and was very ill, he was taken into hospital in Edinburgh who could treat for Lymes Disease, he said at the time every joint in his body was killing him and the pain was terrible, he was on Antibiotics for months and was told he will suffer symtems of the Disease the rest of his life, and it does affect him every day.
    your's Wullie.
    again luckily ive not caught it ..... yet ?

but my mother in law has , and it did nearly kill her so im very carefull with looking for ticks after stalking and i frontline the dog once a month with out fail . !

cheers lee

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Contracted it in 1995, course of antibiotics off work for 12 weeks, about 6 months before I was 100%
    I was lucky made a complete recovery.

Never had the red rash, began with flue like symptoms,then swollen glands and joints, miss diagnosed at first but showed up in blood test.

Bit off topic really but a so called fellow shooter that likes his pidgeon shooting and shoots over some of the same ground i do but thinks shooting deer is a no-no has been telling some of the farmers to be wary eating the venison i give them as it hasn't been inspected for lymes disease
    I guess it just highlights how ill informed some people are on the disease even so called countrymen,i did find it quite funny and tried to explain to the guy but he wouldn't have it,born ignorant i think.
    Neil.

Aye, thank god diagnosis seems a lot better these days; amongst stalker and GPs.

When I was working for the FC in the New Forest in the late eighties one of the Keepers got it and left undiagnosed he had terrible problems including partial paralysis for the rest of his days.

I've not had it myself but a Pal of mine who is not a stalker caught it while walking in the New Forest. He was unaware of the tick and the first symptoms he had were paralysis of his face, followed by joint pain and general lethargy.

He was taken to QMC in Notts and was tested for a huge number of different things. He'd been in for a week and was really poorly by the time he was eventually diagnosed.

He was released from hospital after a further fortnight but had to have a line inserted into his arm. His Mrs had to administer antibiotics through the line every day for about two months. It took over an hour each day for the drugs to drip into him and his front room looked like a hospital ward.

All in all, a very worrying time for him and his family. I'm hoping everyone on here is aware of the danger and will go and see a doctor right away if they think there's a problem. If treated early its perhaps not so bad but if left is very very nasty.

Take care,

Dovebob
    Last edited by Dovebob; 21-04-2010 at 17:37. Reason: spelling

Had it about 5 years ago. After 2 doses of Doxycycline and other herbal medicens i still feel like ****.
    It took me about 3 years to get 70% right and after almost 6 years on i`m still not 100%
    but i manage