Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 door fiesta folding seat broken - MOT?

3 door fiesta folding seat broken - MOT?

The folding seat in my fiesta has gone snap. It now won't fold on one side. I rarely have backseat passengers anyway but wondered if this will be an MOT failure?

Anyone had one break before?

SD Regular
    I'd ask. It may be that you can remove the seat IF it is an MOT tested item and then put it back in later. However as working scrap seats are chep enough why not when you've taken the busted one out either replace it or cannabilise a set from a scrap car for the replacement parts. I am guessing that the reason for it maybe being an MOT requirement is that it makes sitting in the back seat an injury risk if the seat accidentally folds during an accident.

Thanks. I'll do some digging for parts. It's the driver's seat and it's locked shut. I wondered if it was an 'exit' issue for passengers in the back?

If you take the seat out and the matching seat belt you'll not have an issue, the rear seats of my shooting truck are out 90% of the time, as long as the corresponding belt is not in place there is nothing to test so it can't fail on that basis.

As long as the seat is fixed firmly in the upright position as it is designed to do though and the seat belt works it won't be a failure as it is, they won't test the folding seats.
    Last edited by Boydy47; 07-08-2015 at 11:33.

Thanks for the reply.

just to reiterate, this is the folding drivers seat that is used to access the rear seats that is now locked shut. Any would be passengers would only have access via the folding front passenger seat...

if the seat can be forced to fold without the use of the lever then it could fail in a smash so yes its a fail , if it wont move at all then get it welded in place to make sure it wont but for a few get one out of the scrap yard if you are picky re same colour change the trim over its an easy job .

Thanks. Sounds like I need to find parts then. It's firlmy locked in place, there's little doubt about that. Just the handle that controls the release mechanism has snapped somewhere. I reckon it would still unlock but without the leverage that the snapped handle provided, it's too tough!

had a car with that issue, never failed MOT on it.

Quote Originally Posted by roodles View Post
    Thanks. Sounds like I need to find parts then. It's firlmy locked in place, there's little doubt about that. Just the handle that controls the release mechanism has snapped somewhere. I reckon it would still unlock but without the leverage that the snapped handle provided, it's too tough!

Interesting. Ok thanks I'll do some research and let the board know what I find out

Then it sounds like the cable has snapped so it just won't operate anymore another easy fix as per pkl, unless you get an arse that feels if the car was made with things that should work they need to work as per the construction and use lol, but this would be out of the norm and be a advisory but there are testers out there that feel its should work and fail it ! as there is no easy egress in case of a crash ???