Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zeroing from cold?

Zeroing from cold?

Hi all,
    hopefully one of you knowledgable chaps can answer this for me.

How much affect does barrel temperature affect your zero/ bullet placement? If there is a tangible difference, what would be the process for zeroing for a cold barrel? Is it a case of zeroing as normal, waiting for it to cool, firing, seeing where it lands ad adjusting accordingly... Then repeating?

May seem like a daft question but I'm new too shooting rifles in general and my experience isn't huge.

Thanks

a lot depends on your rifle
    you may often find a bigger difference between clean and fouled

I personally don't have enough deviation from cold to justify any specific process
    If there was a variation I would want the first shot to go to the zero point rather than a selection of 2nd-4th shots

could be a long time waiting to allow cooling to check

Quote Originally Posted by Hortysnorty View Post
    Hi all,
    hopefully one of you knowledgable chaps can answer this for me.

How much affect does barrel temperature affect your zero/ bullet placement? If there is a tangible difference, what would be the process for zeroing for a cold barrel? Is it a case of zeroing as normal, waiting for it to cool, firing, seeing where it lands ad adjusting accordingly... Then repeating?

May seem like a daft question but I'm new too shooting rifles in general and my experience isn't huge.

Thanks
    From a quarry shooting point of view, then the chance of having a warm barrel is very slim....
    Ask as many question as you like and will get as many different answers,
    In truth you might only fire one or two rounds out stalking (the second might be a follow up shot)
    Out foxing then 2/3/4/5 shots ( or as many you can shoot on a good night)

You have to take into account of having a routine, as shooting is muscle memory (getting you head down in the same place etc )

We zero at 200 yards so actually shoot at a plate 3 shots each and then wander down and have a look, add or take away what is needed and then do it again.

There are more factors in shooting than a warm or cold barrel and that is a puffed out shooter!!
    A quick example of last night was to walk 3/4 of a mile, spend 15 mins coaxing a fox out, whacking it out about 160 yds and then walking back to the truck, one shot out of a cold barrel went just where it had to go...

Go out and find the balance that suits your shooting would be my advice....hot or not lol

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Many of us only fire one shot in an outing (or more often NO shots )

So its the first shot from a cold barrel that counts.

Instead of shooting 3 shots in a few seconds you could fire one cold shot
    on three separate days on the same target. if you are able to of course.

Cheers for the replys gents, really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    a lot depends on your rifle
    you may often find a bigger difference between clean and fouled
    How much of a difference would there be?
    How often would you look to clean your barrel If your only shooting 1 or 2 shoots in an outing?

Thanks again
    cam

All of my rifles will give a slightly different POA for the first shot. If you run a meths soaked patch up the barrel before you go out this difference becomes negligible. Always meths my barrels before a stalk or range session.

BE

This is just what i do though many on here will have many other variations/sequences/regimes they use and they have been done to death on other posts if you have a wee search.

Personally i clean the bore of my rifle after 20 -30 shots which could be several months of shooting. My rifle shows not difference in zero to matter readjusting but yours may. When i zero i fire 1 shot,walk up to the target, check the placement then walk back which gives a reasonable amount of cooling time, then repeat the process until zeroed.

As i say thats just my way. The rifle likes it and so far the deer dont. First shot is always going to be from a 'cold' barrel so i try to make sure my zeroing practice replicates that.

SD Regular
    My brother spent two decades as a police "sniper" for want of a better description. Their method when zeroing was, something like this: Put up two targets side by side. Fire the first cold shot on the left target and then the second shot on the right target. Clean it back to a clean barrel and allow the rifle to go cold. Then repeat. And again. For however many you think shows a true group. Then set the zero to be the exact middle of the two groups.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    My brother spent two decades as a police "sniper" for want of a better description. Their method when zeroing was, something like this: Put up two targets side by side. Fire the first cold shot on the left target and then the second shot on the right target. Clean it back to a clean barrel and allow the rifle to go cold. Then repeat. And again. For however many you think shows a true group. Then set the zero to be the exact middle of the two groups.
    Very interesting. Spookily I did something similar on Thursday evening. My response to the original post is that you need to keep good records of what you do and how your rifle performs. I know that I want my stalking rifles to put 3 shots fired in quick succession an inch high at 100 yds from a clean bore or a fouled bore.

Regards

JCS

SD Regular
    FWIW finding the middle of the two groups isn't difficult. But you will need either a third target or a piece of white paper the same size.

Put the left target on the top of the "witness" piece and then with a blue (blue - cold - like on your bathtaps) pen mark the bullet strikes. Then take the left target place over the witness piece use a red (red - hot - like your bathtaps) pen mark the bullet strikes.

Then you will have on the witness piece the two groups "cold" and "hot". For the really really involved you then measure how much each shot's left edge if from the rightedge of the paper and how much its bottom edge is from the top of the paper.

The average will show the true centre of the group and helps to ignore those two shot touching clusters that seem to often draw the eye away from what is the true centre of the group.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 08-08-2015 at 10:36.