Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Import a Meopta to make a decent saving?

Question Import a Meopta to make a decent saving?

As the Euro is doing badly against the Pound I was considering importing a Meopta scope.
    Has anyone done this successfully? After a quick bit of Googling I can find the ZD 6-24x56 in the Czech Republic for merely 940, which costs about 1300 here.
    Are there any pitfalls I should be thinking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Guesty View Post
    As the Euro is doing badly against the Pound I was considering importing a Meopta scope.
    Has anyone done this successfully? After a quick bit of Googling I can find the ZD 6-24x56 in the Czech Republic for merely 940, which costs about 1300 here.
    Yup... warranty... I fell foul of this with leica... you may find yourself swimming against the tide if things go wrong!!!

Good scopes Roe Buck and a dog fox fell to mine tonight. Worth every penny and on a par with the overpriced supposed high enders.

I have just checked online and the warranty looks solid, and claims can be made directly with the factory.
    Looks promising.

Or from my local gunshop, Torsbo Handels AB - nya & begagnade vapen och kikarsikten About 831

A product sold in the EU by an EU based company to a resident of another EU country - AFAIK the warranty is valid throughout the EU.

Cheers

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    Wow, that is a great price! But I presume there would be import duty to pay on top?

Wow, that is a great price! But I presume there would be import duty to pay on top?
    No import duty as Sweden is a EU member.

Quote Originally Posted by mealiejimmy View Post
    A product sold in the EU by an EU based company to a resident of another EU country - AFAIK the warranty is valid throughout the EU.

Cheers

Bruce
    That's what you'd think but not so.. for instance leica products bought elsewhere won't be dealt with by Leica UK nor will they benefit from things like the leica 12 month passport. My Bins were from optics trade EU in Slovenia and when a problem occurred they had to go back to Slovenia to then go back to the factory in Germany and had tom return via that route too..

Just letting you know... I'm sure Leica aren't the only European country who operate this way... yes you still have your warranty but using it is an expensive PITA!

VIPA did you ask Leica UK for there explanation in writing why they would not honor the warranty.
    Only I purchased a product ( not Leica) while in the USA and was told the same by a well known dealer in the UK, that it had no warranty, a quick call to the U.S. manufacturers confirmed a worldwide warranty, which is obvious as what would happen if you moved country to live elsewhere.