Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger 10 22lr

Ruger 10 22lr

Hi what's the best way to keep these reliable? I have heard so many different things about these good and bad.
    I like these little rifles and I'm thinking of a change of my .22 and this is on my list. Any info will help good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by danban View Post
    Hi what's the best way to keep these reliable? I have heard so many different things about these good and bad.
    I like these little rifles and I'm thinking of a change of my .22 and this is on my list. Any info will help good or bad.
    I have one and my experience is,

Trigger is heavy but acceptable
    Accuracy is 2 inch group at 40 ish yards
    Subs don't eject 100% of the time
    Working parts need regular cleaning to remove powder residue

What always amazes me about the 10/22 which is apparently the best selling rifle of all times is that it has consistently been the most inaccurate rifle I've ever owned. I've had a standard one, one with pretty well all the extras you could ever think of, and finally one between these two. The one thing they all had in common was that they all shot really badly, I also had magazine issues.
    I am sure there are those out there who have found them OK, but I certainly haven't!

As above really, I couldn't get along with the inaccuracy. To me a 2" group at 40 yards just isn't good enough for quarry.

saying that.... If you just use one for plinking they are great fun!

Quote Originally Posted by danban View Post
    Don't use it and it wont jam. The jams I've had were easy to clear, the lack of accuracy undermines confidence. I understand there are other, more accurate semi-autos that you don't have to spend a lot on CZ, Voer, Anschutz.

The 10/22 is great if you like to fiddle, but then don't complain if you have to fiddle.

have a look on the rimfire magic website that will give you plenty of 1022 ideas, ive owned one in the past and yeah it was good fun miss with the 1st shot then pump the next 9 at it as it runs off missing each time but in the end it was sold for a bolt action

Bought mine for rabbit control.
    Soon realised it wasn't accurate enough and applied for another .22.
    I bought a CZ and use that for the rabbits.

I have kept the Ruger but only use it for plinking - and that, imo , is really what it was designed for

You only need 5 words to remember for these rifles...NO NO NO NO NO.
    Those who can, do it. Those who can't, teach it.

Things to remember about the 1-/22:

NOT designed for use with Sub Sonics.
    Magazine must be kept clean. (Gets gummiest with Sub Sonics.)
    A barrel band on any rifle is an accuracy inhibitor.
    Ruger Triggers suck.
    ~Muit

If you want to have fun, buy a S&W M&P 15-22 (better accuracy than a 10-22 in my experience and will run sub sonics no trouble) - if you want to bunny-bash, get a Anschutz, Wiehrauch or CZ B/A - dead as a door nail every time
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT