Ruger 10 22lr

danban

Hi what's the best way to keep these reliable? I have heard so many different things about these good and bad.
I like these little rifles and I'm thinking of a change of my .22 and this is on my list. Any info will help good or bad.

Hi what's the best way to keep these reliable? I have heard so many different things about these good and bad.
I like these little rifles and I'm thinking of a change of my .22 and this is on my list. Any info will help good or bad.

I have one and my experience is,

Trigger is heavy but acceptable
Accuracy is 2 inch group at 40 ish yards
Subs don't eject 100% of the time
Working parts need regular cleaning to remove powder residue

What always amazes me about the 10/22 which is apparently the best selling rifle of all times is that it has consistently been the most inaccurate rifle I've ever owned. I've had a standard one, one with pretty well all the extras you could ever think of, and finally one between these two. The one thing they all had in common was that they all shot really badly, I also had magazine issues.
I am sure there are those out there who have found them OK, but I certainly haven't!

As above really, I couldn't get along with the inaccuracy. To me a 2" group at 40 yards just isn't good enough for quarry.

saying that.... If you just use one for plinking they are great fun!

Don't use it and it wont jam. The jams I've had were easy to clear, the lack of accuracy undermines confidence. I understand there are other, more accurate semi-autos that you don't have to spend a lot on CZ, Voer, Anschutz.

The 10/22 is great if you like to fiddle, but then don't complain if you have to fiddle.

have a look on the rimfire magic website that will give you plenty of 1022 ideas, ive owned one in the past and yeah it was good fun miss with the 1st shot then pump the next 9 at it as it runs off missing each time but in the end it was sold for a bolt action

Bought mine for rabbit control.
Soon realised it wasn't accurate enough and applied for another .22.
I bought a CZ and use that for the rabbits.

I have kept the Ruger but only use it for plinking - and that, imo , is really what it was designed for

Things to remember about the 1-/22:

NOT designed for use with Sub Sonics.
Magazine must be kept clean. (Gets gummiest with Sub Sonics.)
A barrel band on any rifle is an accuracy inhibitor.
Ruger Triggers suck.
~Muit

If you want to have fun, buy a S&W M&P 15-22 (better accuracy than a 10-22 in my experience and will run sub sonics no trouble) - if you want to bunny-bash, get a Anschutz, Wiehrauch or CZ B/A - dead as a door nail every time :old:

They are what they are, I've had 5 over the years and still have 3....they were/ are all accurate workhorses....easy sub inch at 60 yards which is plenty good for me....all handled subs no problem, none had any modifications.... heavy trigger- get used to it, only thing I can say is that each rifle had its own ammo preference.....

I owned stainless one with walnut stock accurate enough but the trigger was so heavy gunsmith polished up alot better but the jams with subs got to me and changed it for a cz bolt action which has now been changed for a 17 hmr and wouldnt go back to a 22 for rabbit shooting

I love mine but spent a lot on it. I have replaced the trigger, stock, buffer pin, other internal parts,

shoots really well and cycles anything

I have owned two so far and they are fun but a lot like cars you can spend a fortune on after market parts

I had one and I liken it to my old Land Rover, always upgrading to get acceptable performance out of it and very fussy with what it liked BUT I enjoyed the constant tinkering and fixing. However it was a second .22lr so not my only rabbit rifle otherwise like the Land Rover it would have got more annoying a lot quicker than it eventually did if I had to rely on it 24/7.

don't write the rugger 10 22 off. They are a fun little gun but i wouldn't swap a bolt action for one. I would only get one as an extra.
like already mentioned to get best accuracy they need after market mods. I love mine and haven't modified it at all.

mine will cycle high velocity all day long but will jam occasionally with subs.

also it cycles better without a moderator on it.

my favourite ammo is eley club because they are fairly quiet but never jam as they are "medium" velocity.

hahahaha i appologise for this being my 1st post, iv stalked one here for ages but iv got to come out now...

iv a ruger 10/22 and i have to add.....its crap - do you want it ??

i thought it'd be great so bought one and was stunned how rubbish it was, it jammed no matter how clean it was or what ammo i fed it, when it did work it as a 2" at 40yd (at best) gun....junk !!

i got a variation and bought an ancient brno 22 and never looked back

if you want a ruger 10/22 and p/hale mod foc then please give me a shout, id be happy to free up the slots :)

Strangely I have only had one jam in 1000 rounds of Ely subs and that was more internal failure which took me 20mins to strip and fix

Again i find Ely Subs to be good for accuracy out to 50 yards with 15-20mm grouping, but as soon as I put stingers in it, they are all over the place. If all id ever shot were stingers id think it couldent shoot strieght, but the Elys work great.

And the stingers are noisy so I cant really see the point in them

The trigger on my one has been worked and its fine. I also have an aftermarket adjustable poly stock as the standard synthetic is too short for me.

ATB

Chasey

Back