Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hornady SST

Hornady SST

I've been planing to try some Hornady SST in my 6.5x55 and 30-06 but my local supplier hasn't had any in stock for several months now. Was thinking 129gr for Roe and 165gr in 30-06 for Reds. Any thoughts on where I might be able to source and in fact whether these are appropriate?

Quote Originally Posted by amssmith View Post
    I've been planing to try some Hornady SST in my 6.5x55 and 30-06 but my local supplier hasn't had any in stock for several months now. Was thinking 129gr for Roe and 165gr in 30-06 for Reds. Any thoughts on where I might be able to source and in fact whether these are appropriate?
    6.5x55
    Quote: The 129 grain SST is immensely popular at present. This projectile produces explosive wounding and remains effective out to distances of around 500 yards or 2000fps, quite a feat for a stout jacketed projectile. BC is .485 while SD is .264. This is a good light medium game bullet, effective on body weights up to around 70 (154lb). The 129 grain SST can be pushed to work on larger animals but is not an optimal choice. The 129 grain InterBond is far more reliable in this regard.

.30-06 Springfield
    Quote: Hornady’s 165 bullets tend to produce excellent accuracy and velocities in .30-06 rifles, whether of vintage designs and twist rates, or modern barrel designs. This bullet weight is ideal for game weighing between 80 and 150kg (180-330lb). That said, the traditional Interlock and SST bullets are fast expanders, producing wide wounding on light bodied game and adequate penetration on slightly heavier game. Of the two designs, the SST is, as can be expected, the more dramatic killer. On lean game at longer ranges, the 165 grain SST never really produces immensely delayed killing. There can at times be a delay in killing at long ranges but the results are nonetheless emphatic. Penetration on game weighing between 150 and 180kg (330-400lb) is acceptable at close ranges where velocity is still around 2900fps however exit wounding cannot be expected on tough game. While the 165 grain Hornady bullets and especially the SST are ideally suited to mid weight game species of the suggested weight range, some hunters would rightly view this bullet weight and the SST design as a good all-round performer. The 165 grain InterBond is a tough bullet, doing its best work on game weighing between 80kg and 200kg (180-440lb) and adequate for deer/antelope weighing up to 320kg (700lb). From muzzle velocities of 2950fps, wounding performance begins to wane after 275 yards (2400fps), showing a more marked decrease in wounding potential at 375 yards (2200fps) and onwards.

You'll get a good understanding of what works if you read this laddies stuff...goes through and provides some good bullet performance detail. Worth reading.
    Last edited by deeangeo; 09-08-2015 at 06:59.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Thanks for this deeangeo, useful stuff and having read other discussions on this subject it certainly splits opinion generated by others personal experience. As I'm still rather new to the stalking side of shooting but have the advantage of reloading know how, I wanted to see if I could get a couple of loads worked up that will serve well without having to fill the cupboard with soon to be unused components. Hopefully other on the forum can share their thoughts. If I can't get hold of the components I guess it doesn't really matter how good or not they are for purpose!

Flirted with SST but found Sierra gamekings better (and cheaper). Use 165gr in your 3006 and 140gr in 6.5, 120gr prohunters are good also. The 129gr interlock are also a good option but find somehow the gamekings better.

If you read through those links he gives views on quite a few bullets in both calibre/cartridges. Personally I think big ears is quite correct although I use the prohunter rather than the gameking bullet. Good bullets & inexpensive.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

SST was designed with reliable expansion at slower impact velocities encountered with shooting out past 300, 400 yds

this means with sub 150yd impact velocities you can get some violent reactions

for that reason I use the not SST Interlock in 6.8/.270 and 30cal and they are perfect choice for red sized deer at circa or sub 200yd ranges

however with your 6.5 starting slower and depending on what you load them at you may find they are a good choice
    just not something i would run at 3100fps MV

As above they weren't as destructive as nosler bt 120 and both the nosler and sst dropped the deer ( roe muntjac)
    on the spot but meat damage was imo excessive (6.5x55)
    both were very accurate bullets in my rifle
    but now use Sierra 120 pro hunters

Use 95gr Ssts in my .243.

Cannot fault them. Really superb - accurate and very effective, with, if anything, less meat damage than other .243 bullets I've used.

Rear lung shots in particular work very well indeed. Calibre sized entry, 2-3 inch exit, lungs shredded, no meat damage beyond holes.

Love them.

Thanks to all so far for your thoughts and guidance, I'm starting to feel like I now have a better understanding of my options.

deeangeo, could you repost the links to the quotes shown in your earlier reply, as I can't seem to find them

I could never get he SST's to group properly in 129gr for some reason.
    The 120gr prohunter and 140gr gameking to a very good job though.