weighed the gralloch

John Gryphon

Rolled a second year sambar stag yesterday. As he was close to a vehicle track all the lads bundled him into the ute complete with the guts in as I wanted to weigh his guts/pluck accurately and did so at home.

I stuffed them into a poly feed bag for hooking up and they realised 85 pounds.

Of course the dogs love the liver and the hosed out paunch..it must be a primeval thing as they will walk past a T-bone to get to a paunch..always have!

That's more than a roe buck weighs. Must be some awesome hunting down your way. I have always admired Australia. I went to a film and lecture on Aus with my father when I was 13 and got hooked. One of these days...

Rolled a second year sambar stag yesterday. As he was close to a vehicle track all the lads bundled him into the ute complete with the guts in as I wanted to weigh his guts/pluck accurately and did so at home.

I stuffed them into a poly feed bag for hooking up and they realised 85 pounds.

Of course the dogs love the liver and the hosed out paunch..it must be a primeval thing as they will walk past a T-bone to get to a paunch..always have!

What did the deer weigh?
It is hard to get a field weight as getting stuff like that on the scales is not easy.
I was given a rough guide of % 30 from a stalking guide but a game dealer recons % 40 to add back on the carcass weight back at the parlour...

Tim.243

I didn't weigh the deer meat/legs etc this two year olds stag neck/head and 15" antlers weighed a tad under 50 LBs.

With a couple of blows with the axe to split the skull the dogs will be in heaven again.

Last edited:
Back