Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chest freezer or Upright freezer?

Chest freezer or Upright freezer?

Hi all,
    I'm looking to get a little freezer for the basement primarily for joints of venison / sausages etc, but also for standard supermarket food too. What are the pros and cons of chest vs. upright freezers? I only ever here of stalkers using chest freezers, why is this?

Thinking of this one - Buy Bush BCF99L Chest Freezer- White at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Freezers.

Any pointers appreciated. Thanks
    Mike

I have an upright fridge freezer (American size )the fridge side is used for hanging carcasses before butchering, it doesnt matter what type of freezer its personal preference but the upright is easier for access

Chest freezer is imo the only one to get (if you have room), they will not need to work as hard or loose the chill as some uprights, very basic physics, cold air sinks so when opening an upright it all falls out, also if for some reason you have a power cut and it defrosts the mess stays in it instead of leaking all over the floor.

Chest freezers are bigger but take up loads of floor space and you can never get to the stuff at the bottom! They do double up as a good worktop though. I couldn't decide so got both!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Chest freezers are bigger but take up loads of floor space and you can never get to the stuff at the bottom! They do double up as a good worktop though. I couldn't decide so got both!
    MS
    Always get a surprise when rummaging through mine.

I am happy to be corrected. But I'm fairly sure that a chest freezer will store food at a lower temperature which makes for retained quality and better for longer term storage.
    Win Mod 70

I prefer a lovely big chest myself
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

I use an upright because it easy to get stuff out of. I'm only keeping meat for my own consumption so I don't freeze half carcases because I'd never be able to use them quickly enough when thawed so all the meat is jointed before freezing anyway.
    I would prefer a commercial upright freezer with shelves rather than draws though. Assuming you can get em with shelves..

I was in the same situation as yourself and decided I would get the biggest chest freezer I could fit .

Ice king seemed the best to get , http://www.coopelectricalshop.co.uk/...ing/fd/c/c/c/b

Thanks for the input all - went for a 150 litre Logik chest freezer which said 'suitable for outbuildings' too. Figure I'll get more odd shaped things in there than in drawers!
    Cheers
    Mike