Thread: Under lever cleaning

Under lever cleaning

Looking for a bit of assistance on the cleaning my Winchester 94ae in 3030

i I normally just boresnake my rifles but can't with this ?

What at are people using ?

Cheers

Why can't you use a bore snake on your rifle .
    I use a bore snake through the side ejection port in my marlin 444 .
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

just lift the lever so you have an open area to the barrel then drop the snake down and pull through? or go the other way, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    Sinclair has a brass bore guide the you put in the muzzle end and it allows you to clean with a rod without getting the bore out of round. It's only a few bucks and I'm sure they will ship it to you. Google them.

I have a winchester 94ae 357 mag. I was struggling cleaning, I was advised to push the brush in at the chamber end with the threads pointing towards the muzzle, insert cleaning rod down the barrel from the muzzle then screw the rod onto the brush and pull though the barrel. I found this a pain and bought a bore snake,it appears to work a treat. I will make a curved tube - guide to aid cleaning and protect the barrel from damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert 888 View Post
    I have a winchester 94ae 357 mag. I was struggling cleaning, I was advised to push the brush in at the chamber end with the threads pointing towards the muzzle, insert cleaning rod down the barrel from the muzzle then screw the rod onto the brush and pull though the barrel. I found this a pain and bought a bore snake,it appears to work a treat. I will make a curved tube - guide to aid cleaning and protect the barrel from damage.
    I went the same route with my 9422.

ATB,

Scrummy
    "He who drags the deer has the last laugh (mainly because he has to get his breath back)"

SD Regular
    Hello. I have one of the 1970s .44 Magnum Winchester 94 rifles.

I either....pull a boresnake through from the breech end KEEPING THE CORD CENTRAL AT THE MUZZLE SO IT DOESN'T TOUCH THE RIFLING or use a rod and phosphor bronze inserted from the muzzle with the "V" shaped plastic muzzle guide that came with it (it is an American rod and brush) but putting a piece of wood say 1/8" x 1/2" over the front of the breech block to protect the firing pin if I push too far with the rod.

When using the rod and phosphor bronze I hold the rifle inverted so that any much doesn't drop into the "guts" but out of the top of the open breech. In theory! The pastic "V" funnel I have is probably the same in shape as the Sinclair I am guessing.

But although it is a real pain in the bottom for a real clean I always strip so as to take the breech block out and use a rod from the breech. Like a Martini action this Winchester is a pain in that respect!

The Swiss Army K31 field cleaning kits and HK G3 cleaning kits work great. They have a pull through rope or chain (covered with lead slugs to protect the bore from abrasion), eyes for cloth patches, nylon brushes and bronze brushes which hook onto this eye - so you can drop the line down from the muzzle and out the ejection port, clip on a brush, and pull it through. There is also the PE57 battle rifle cleaning kit with a steel rod.

Dewey makes a coated steel rod with a plastic cone which slides on it, to protect the muzzle end.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hkg3-cleaing-kit.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	60048
    http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-G3...sed-p15612.htm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pe57-cleaning-kit.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	60049
    Swiss PE57 field kit. The steel rod has larger diameter brass connectors to protect the bore.
    Last edited by Southern; 11-08-2015 at 20:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulse View Post
    Cheers guys
    30/30, 22 or 357, all Marlins I have boresnaked for the last 25 years which has always done the trick. However for the Marlin 30/30 I removed the bolt and cleaned with copper solvent and a rod from the breech the others I cleaned in the same way (but carefully) from the the muzzle. Still shoot perfectly, I can't see the problem with cleaning from the muzzle if you are careful and time has proven so.