Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: case lube

case lube

Anyone use any substitutes? Just wondering if I've got anything around that will work - ATF, gear oil (80/90), neatsfoot oil, beeswax (natural wood polish), beeswax based leather wax, fairy liquid etc..

I've tried googling and can't decide if I should buy lube first - getting to the RFD is a PITA arse at the mo but I'll go there when my lazy cops get my papers to me. Every week I ring them up (wel, for the past 3) and they say yes we should have it done this week it just needs processing... how long does processing take! (It's variation for 243 and the 'hard' bit is over)

Beeswax mixed with vaseline. 60:40 with vaseline being the major component. I found this out after buying some Imperial sizing die wax and noticing that it smelled very similar to my black powder bullet lube. I smeared a tiny bit of the bullet lube on a case and ran it through the die. It worked a treat.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

STP oil treatment is (or was) what RCBS sold for case lube.~Muir

Thanks guys - that's the sort of stuff. Might cut some beeswax polish with vaso then. Or does it have to be 100% beeswax?

What STP is that - aren't there quite a few? And does it wipe off afterwards easily?

For many years I have used Neatsfoot Oil on a cloth pad. I got it from my local saddler.

HWH.

Don't use gear oils, the EP additive is zinc which can attack "yellow metals" only the very expensive gear oils have a yellow metal passivator in them that would stop errosion, and case lube would be a lot cheaper.

Leon
    Last edited by Leon; 22-04-2010 at 07:45.

STP works fine looks and smells the same as RCBS case lube

Quote Originally Posted by harrygrey382 View Post
    Thanks guys - that's the sort of stuff. Might cut some beeswax polish with vaso then. Or does it have to be 100% beeswax?

What STP is that - aren't there quite a few? And does it wipe off afterwards easily?
    The beeswax I use comes in big yellow blocks. As far as I know, it's the pure article. Please don't ask me where one would buy it though as I have no idea. I managed to scrounge a big block of it from a bloke who re-soled and re-studded ammo boots as a sideline.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

well seeing as neatsfoot oil is my preferred leather dressing I reckon I'll give it a go first. Lovely stuff softens leather nicely and doesn't rot stitching - the pure stuff that is! Might try rubbing it on with my finger first. Then if I don't like it I'll go STP or the beeswax/vaso mix.

If it comes off with wiping, and lubes the die properly, is there anything else to watch - like hidden problems it could be causing?

Hi,
    spoke with a saddler who said neatsfoot oil was responsible for destroying most of the leather he had in for repair.

Sine then I have always used something called Flexolan. Much better.

Ian