case lube

harrygrey382

Anyone use any substitutes? Just wondering if I've got anything around that will work - ATF, gear oil (80/90), neatsfoot oil, beeswax (natural wood polish), beeswax based leather wax, fairy liquid etc..

I've tried googling and can't decide if I should buy lube first - getting to the RFD is a PITA arse at the mo but I'll go there when my lazy cops get my papers to me. Every week I ring them up (wel, for the past 3) and they say yes we should have it done this week it just needs processing... how long does processing take! (It's variation for 243 and the 'hard' bit is over)

Beeswax mixed with vaseline. 60:40 with vaseline being the major component. I found this out after buying some Imperial sizing die wax and noticing that it smelled very similar to my black powder bullet lube. I smeared a tiny bit of the bullet lube on a case and ran it through the die. It worked a treat.

Thanks guys - that's the sort of stuff. Might cut some beeswax polish with vaso then. Or does it have to be 100% beeswax?

What STP is that - aren't there quite a few? And does it wipe off afterwards easily?

Don't use gear oils, the EP additive is zinc which can attack "yellow metals" only the very expensive gear oils have a yellow metal passivator in them that would stop errosion, and case lube would be a lot cheaper.

Leon

Last edited:
Thanks guys - that's the sort of stuff. Might cut some beeswax polish with vaso then. Or does it have to be 100% beeswax?

What STP is that - aren't there quite a few? And does it wipe off afterwards easily?

The beeswax I use comes in big yellow blocks. As far as I know, it's the pure article. Please don't ask me where one would buy it though as I have no idea. I managed to scrounge a big block of it from a bloke who re-soled and re-studded ammo boots as a sideline.

well seeing as neatsfoot oil is my preferred leather dressing I reckon I'll give it a go first. Lovely stuff softens leather nicely and doesn't rot stitching - the pure stuff that is! Might try rubbing it on with my finger first. Then if I don't like it I'll go STP or the beeswax/vaso mix.

If it comes off with wiping, and lubes the die properly, is there anything else to watch - like hidden problems it could be causing?

Hi,
spoke with a saddler who said neatsfoot oil was responsible for destroying most of the leather he had in for repair.

Sine then I have always used something called Flexolan. Much better.

Ian

Hi,
spoke with a saddler who said neatsfoot oil was responsible for destroying most of the leather he had in for repair
yeah that's blended one - it's the mineral oil it's blended with that does that and has given it a bad name. Most of the saddlers and old horsemen I know say pure is the best stuff you can get

As I re-load for others I always re-size full length.
Neatsfoot oil wipes off easily with bog-roll or similar.
I have used it for over 40 years with no problems.

HWH.

Send Griff a pm

He sells a lube that looks just like a jar of beeswax but is softer and is great to use. It's the best lube i've ever used.
Sweet smelling and very easy to clean.

Another vote for imperial sizing Wax but if you are looking for an easily obtained substitute then get some nipple cream (the kind that breast feeding women use) that is made from anhydrous llanolin (excuse the spelling please) works perfectly,a tube lasts for years, easilly bought at any chemist.

Ezzy

I've just bought some imperial sizing wax for the first time. It may be good but at the moment it doesn't seem any better or worse than the RCBS lube that I used previously. The small bottle of RCBS lube (used with a lube pad) has lasted me quite a few years and was inexpensive when bought.

Heck NO! That's why I quit using it! What an awful mess! ~Muir

Back