Thread: Air Arms S410 FAC Extra. Has any one tried a regulator. Good a bad experience?

Air Arms S410 FAC Extra. Has any one tried a regulator. Good a bad experience?

I was wondering about getting a regulator for my .22 AA FAC Extra.

It seems to have three grouping bands per charge, first ten going an inch low, the next ten on zero and then ten an inch high.

Any body had similar and tried a regulator? If so, which one, and with what results?

Alan

I didn't have that problem with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaothead View Post
    I didn't have that problem with mine.
    Helpful! Thank you!

I was not aware of the shift when I first had it. It is 14 years old now and I have mainly been shooting centre and rim fire in the last few years. Which may be why I have become aware of it more now... Either that, or that it is in need of refurbishment.

I suppose I am looking to remove yet another parameter to account for in the range, wind, trajectory calculation.

Alan

Not really an expert but it sounds like the valve sticks open when the pressure drops. Just maybe it needs a bit of use, but maybe you have done enough trying to zero it loosen up. If it were mine I'd strip and clean it myself just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaothead View Post
    Not really an expert but it sounds like the valve sticks open when the pressure drops. Just maybe it needs a bit of use, but maybe you have done enough trying to zero it loosen up. If it were mine I'd strip and clean it myself just for fun.
    I put through four or five charges worth of pellets (120-150) a couple of months ago, which is when I identified the POI shift.

Good idea, I could give it a service. New "O" rings and a bit of silicon grease...I will save it up for the long winter evenings (whatever happened to them?)

But if I am going to take it apart, that would probably be a good time to fit a regulator....

Anybody had any experiences of regulators?

Alan

I don't own one personally although I know two people who shoot one exclusively.
    One has had no such problems until the third mag, then the drop begins to make itself known.
    The other has had his for six months ( second- hand) and has had it back to AA twice to get it sorted. It began to show a power drop after one mag then dumped the reservoir after 3.
    General advice from AA was that you only get problems from the Extra when you don't use it for a time.
    Try going ontoAir Arms Ownrs Club forum to see they can give you any guidance.
    HTH
    ( one of the guys on AAOC also manufactures and fits regs to AA product)
    Last edited by JohnT; 11-08-2015 at 17:52.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    I don't own one personally although I know two people who shoot one exclusively.
    One has had no such problems until the third mag, then the drop begins to make itself known.
    The other has had his for six months ( second- hand) and has had it back to AA twice to get it sorted. It began to show a power drop after one mag then dumped the reservoir after 3.
    General advice from AA was that you only get problems from the Extra when you don't use it for a time.
    Try going ontoAir Arms Ownrs Club forum to see they can give you any guidance.
    HTH
    ( one of the guys on AAOC also manufactures and fits regs to AA product)
    I will check that out. I have looked around a few of the air gun fora, don't remember that one. I kept finding a lot of people talking about getting a regulator but then no follow up to say whether it was worth it.

I spotted Roedinator's thread yesterday which talked of getting a Simon in Tamworth to service and tweak it to give him a constant 30ft lbs. that prompted me to do a bit more research again.

When I asked Air Arms if they did them or could recommend one they said they would not advise the modification...well they would wouldn't they?

Thanks for the tip...

Alan