Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dumping Foxes in the Countryside

Dumping Foxes in the Countryside

The front page of our local paper

http://www.thisisnorthdevon.co.uk/ne...l/article.html

I know it's been going on for years.

Everybody denies any knowledge of dumping them, yeah right, one of the "animal charities" is lying through their teeth.

Brian

Weve witnessed those certain charities doing it! Absolutely shocking really, they all bleat on about animal welfare but town foxes will struggle to survive if dumped in the countryside. Its not on. It also creates huge problems for keepers and farmers as the opportunist townie foxes do anything to get a meal.. Ive even heard stories of the charities putting reflective flea collars onto them so they dont get run over.. Makes them stick out well in the lamp though!

Its been happening on some islands of the west coast of Scotland, in the last few years, these islands never had fox's
    and they are decimating,the bird life.

These people are committing a crime as the fox is not indigenous to these islands,but so-far no one has been apprehended.

Police have been checking ferries with no result,so one would imagine they are being landed by private craft.

I was out with a guy who shot one with a frea collar and no joking it was a bag of bones and manky condition.

a few years ago a friend of mine saw a van pull up to his wood, doors fling open and out came 5 cages with foxes in. they where then pointed in the direction of his wood (with releas pens in situe and stocked) and released. the unfortunate thing was my friend had his shotgun with him at the time and proceeded to dispatched all 5 foxes as they bolted towards him. A lengthy issue arrose shortly after this, as he was confronted by the chaps releasing these animals, the police where informed and a my friend was arrested for discharing a shotgun in a way that could endanger the public safety. in the end, all charges where dropped by the police force and nothing more was said about the matter. he has not had any release problems since this saga.

All in all a very unnessacary situation to be put in. it is not only foxes that are being released without justification, recently an english animal charity came and "released" arround 20 polecats in fife. fife has had an ongoing problem with water vole decline and has been operating a mink eradication programme for arround 4 years. all of these polecats where captured and dispatched humanly. If the animal charity had sought permission and informed the NGO's of there intentions i am very confident they would have been suported in there aim to reintroduce the polecat. however they just seem to go about things like idiots and as such do not deserve any support for what they do. its a shame, our wildlife needs our support, but these sorts of people are far from supportive.

Skipp.

About 25 years ago, I was part of a group who shot foxes to a pack of hounds, the huntsman actually had cine footage (that's how long ago it was!) of Bristol Corporation vans dropping foxes off, this was in Mid/West Wales, probably a minimum 2hr drive so christ knows how many others they dropped off closer to home. We used to shoot 300+ everty season and the numbers went up every year.

Since the lambing of the Swaledale sheep started a few weeks ago here in the Lake District a local farmer lost a lamb or two.
    He contacted his neighbouring farmer and four outings with lamp and rifle have gathered up 7, 9 , 6 and a few nights ago another 3 , total there 25 .
    Since hunting was banned there has been an increasing problem, also the Curlew, Lapwing and other ground nesting birds have suffered due to the ever increasing Fox and Badger populations hoovering up eggs and nestlings.

HWH.

if foxes and badgers like "hoovering" can someone drop one off to my house as i have a real phobia of using the hoover! Good home guarnteed!

skipp.

Quote Originally Posted by skippy1001 View Post
    All in all a very unnessacary situation to be put in. it is not only foxes that are being released without justification, recently an english animal charity came and "released" arround 20 polecats in fife. fife has had an ongoing problem with water vole decline and has been operating a mink eradication programme for arround 4 years. all of these polecats where captured and dispatched humanly. If the animal charity had sought permission and informed the NGO's of there intentions i am very confident they would have been suported in there aim to reintroduce the polecat. however they just seem to go about things like idiots and as such do not deserve any support for what they do. its a shame, our wildlife needs our support, but these sorts of people are far from supportive.

Skipp.
    The NGO in your area must be comprised of people who are very different to those that I know of. I know that you can't tar all members with the same brush but suggesting that keepers would be keen to see the reintroduction of polecats takes a bit of believing! Now, the NGO website may say that they support such projects but as for the individual member, I think not. I belive that they have also joined the Partners Against Wildlife Crime project......mmmmm, meanwhile, back in the real world....

Quote Originally Posted by JC275 View Post
    The NGO in your area must be comprised of people who are very different to those that I know of. I know that you can't tar all members with the same brush but suggesting that keepers would be keen to see the reintroduction of polecats takes a bit of believing! Now, the NGO website may say that they support such projects but as for the individual member, I think not. I belive that they have also joined the Partners Against Wildlife Crime project......mmmmm, meanwhile, back in the real world....
    Not sure if your post was "tongue in cheek" JC, but I suspect Skippy was using NGO in the context of Non Government Organisation ie the various orgs in the area rather than National Gamekeepers Organisation!