Spotting scope configurations

Southern

I wondered what sort of spotting scopes you use for hunting ( and the range ):
Size and weight
Power or variable range
Straight eyepiece, angled, or 90 degrees

And why.... how do you use the scope and how did that influence your choice?
Sitting, prone, on a small tripod, on sticks, over a pack or pad on a rock?
Glassing long vistas to find hidden game and to size it up for quality?
Or closer, after you have spotted it with naked eye or binoculars?

Swarovski STS 65, with a 20-60 zoom eyepiece for the range and a 30W eyepiece for hunting.

I mount it either on a tripod, typically at the range, and then freehand, on a small "U" support or a beanbag/car mount when out hunting.

Mostly viewing long-distance, but useful closer when checking out roe bucks from the car.

Sounds like a straight eyepiece, willie.

Sorry, should have said - yes, STS is the straight eyepiece, whereas ATS is the Angled eyepiece. My choice was based on the fact that they only had a secondhand STS for sale. If they had had an angled instead I would have bought that. I think angled is most useful when the scope is mounted on the tripod, whereas the straight is easier when mounted in the car or used freehand.

Straight is best as the easy way is look at what you want to glass then without moving eye or head bring the 'scope up to your eye and if all is done as said you'll then see in the 'scope the thing that you wanted to put the glass on.

I see pictures on SD of large open grain field and pastures, so I presume there are lots of use for spotting scopes there, from a stand, as well as walking about the hills of Scotland for red deer. But perhaps binoculars cover it all for most people. Here in the USA, I think spotting scopes are mostly used out West and in Alaska, sheep and goat hunters being almost 100% users. But slowly scanning for bedded mule deer or Coues deer is also a use.

I've accumulated over the years more optical things than I actually need.

On the range I use a Steward 'Featherweight' single-draw 'scope on a Parker-Hale 'Close-Up' stand for prone target-rifle matches. When just playing, off the bench, I've a variety of options, including Optolyth 30x75 single-draw and 15-45x60. For long-range hole-spotting I've an angled Leica 77.

On the hill, some kind of three-draw (or three plus pancratic) seems to suit best. The length makes for a steady hold in the absence of a tripod.

My first telescope ( still have it ), was a mahogany and brass 4-tube from and ancestor in J.E.B. Stuart's calvary. Nothing like a modern Swaro, but I get it about being more steady. Worked well for whalers and navy commanders. Those modern ones intrigue me; nice to hear how they work for you.

Back