Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bishop auchland grouse numbers

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)

bishop auchland grouse numbers

ok lads

looking at a 4 days away with the boss, 1 day up 2 days on the grouse and 1 day back,

I have heard that numbers are low due to weather conditions/infections and general bad luck, ??

anyone up there confirm that there are problems,

I have heard that some shoots have been cancelled.

thanks

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Mate of mine picks up on one of the weardale moors and they've cut down their days.

Another mate is a keeper in Northumberland and they've cancelled all grouse shooting. They don't let any grouse days, only monster partridge days, so I guess it's an easier decision for them.

I'm been expecting such news for a while. I'm pretty sure if you'd set out a blue print of the worst possible conditions for grouse prospects I'd say this years weather would have been it.

Novice

I'd agree with novice, depending on the moor and size of bag usually expected, but spoke to a few keepers on smaller moors (1 not too far rom there) and if they get there way will not be shooting at all or possibly only a few small days later on in year.
    Really been a sevre lack of heat so little insects for the chicks, these are the years that vermin can really take its toll when not a lot of young grouse so eating next years breeding stock.

Never heard of much disease yet but that generally comes in when numbers are higher

Was meant to be out tomorrow but was cancelled a few weeks ago, may be out end of the month bit not looking that likely

Blog Entries
    thank you both.

looks like we could be of shooting something else then ??

ill await the final report back from the host.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

bollihope suppose to b alright

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    thank you both.

looks like we could be of shooting something else then ??

ill await the final report back from the host.

bob.
    Some of those moors are very productive and often shoot into Oct or even Nov so may well still be shooting esp this early in season (unless postponning till later to allow 2nd/late broods to to mature) but just not as many days as normal, just depends on the moor and size of bags expected.
    I'm sure u'll still have a cracking time anyway

I live in Wolsingham which is within 6 miles of Stanhope, Wolsingham and Bollihope shoots, Wolsingham had their first shoot today, but haven't heard how it went, the other two shoots, I've not heard about yet, from what I've been told from those in the know, there are no issues with the amount of birds available.
    If I hear anything, I'll report back.
    Is there a time and place for spontaneity?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kernel gadaffi View Post
    I live in Wolsingham which is within 6 miles of Stanhope, Wolsingham and Bollihope shoots, Wolsingham had their first shoot today, but haven't heard how it went, the other two shoots, I've not heard about yet, from what I've been told from those in the know, there are no issues with the amount of birds available.
    If I hear anything, I'll report back.
    Thank you,

Myself and my boss are booked,in mid September but the host is away for a few weeks and at the moment we just wanted to see how things are,

Many thanks

Bob.

Mixed reports here in the North a lot of late broods and the higher ground seems to be better than the low moors.

Just heard from the mate down weardale. They had 127 1/2 brace off 4 drives today so there must be a few about!

Novice