Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NZ firearms safety test

NZ firearms safety test

Just sat my test, 1hr of going through the safety manual, where, what and when to load and point a gun, 30min video of field safety, 20 question multiple choice test, all done, free of charge carried out by the mountain rescue service, now a visit to check I have a safe storage place and am not a nutter as the man put it, and then away you go, ten year ticket, no limit on calibre so or guns, but if I want a fully auto or pistol I will have to join a club.

Way too much common sense in how they do it over there!

Its very simple:-

Once upon a time early man were simple hunter gatherers - every thing was naturally around them and you sat on your backside most of the time and when you felt hungry you went out and got some food.

But then some bright spark suggested that this was far too much like hard work and so we should domestic some animals and plants, and then spend the whole looking after them and growing them,

And then a few realised that was hard work so started getting other people to do the hard work for them and so we invented bureaucracy and systems and why have something simple, when something complex is so much more expensive, time consuming, and uses so many more people etc.

You see this business, lawmaking, clubs and almost certainly in any form of shooting / hunting. The best explanation I have ever seen is the Pagoda Bird principle. There is a family of birds - the Megapodes that came to the conclusion that sitting on your backside for a few weeks incubating eggs was far too much like hard work, and far to simple.......... So they developed a technique of building large piles of vegetation and then using the heat of the rotting vegetation to incubate the eggs. The only problem is that they have to control the temperature - easy solution developed by the so called experts is the "putting on and taking off technique" - which involves both parents running around hard for the whole incubation period removing and putting back vegetation. And best is to "borrow" from your neighbours.

More details are at:
    Megapode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I once explained this to some IT consultants - they didn't get it at all!!!!
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 13-08-2015 at 09:39.

Right all of you need to stop and slap yourselves around the face a few times! Clearly common sense must never be used when talking of firearms licensing!!

could the NZ firearms people infiltrate the UK goverment and slip them a pint or two of this common sense approach to firearms licensing .ive already double checked and this common sense idea is not high on the civil service agenda
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Its very simple:-

Once upon a time early man were simple hunter gatherers - every thing was naturally around them and you sat on your backside most of the time and when you felt hungry you went out and got some food.

But then some bright spark suggested that this was far too much like hard work and so we should domestic some animals and plants, and then spend the whole looking after them and growing them,

And then a few realised that was hard work so started getting other people to do the hard work for them and so we invented bureaucracy and systems and why have something simple, when something complex is so much more expensive, time consuming, and uses so many more people etc.

You see this business, lawmaking, clubs and almost certainly in any form of shooting / hunting. The best explanation I have ever seen is the Pagoda Bird principle. There is a family of birds - the Megapodes that came to the conclusion that sitting on your backside for a few weeks incubating eggs was far too much like hard work, and far to simple.......... So they developed a technique of building large piles of vegetation and then using the heat of the rotting vegetation to incubate the eggs. The only problem is that they have to control the temperature - easy solution developed by the so called experts is the "putting on and taking off technique" - which involves both parents running around hard for the whole incubation period removing and putting back vegetation. And best is to "borrow" from your neighbours.

More details are at:
    Megapode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I once explained this to some IT consultants - they didn't get it at all!!!!
    Our systems just like that tho,but in the guise of the BIRDS on a volcanic island burying there eggs in the hot sand ,we give them our paperwork then they bury their heads in the sand!!!and cover us in rotting vegitation ,,,,ie ********!!another word for compost,
    DONT START

Hi

#5 - unfortunately a pint or two will have to empty the recepticle, so perhaps better to implant some brain cells and hope they take...........

The problem with said 'common sense' is that there is not much around......and that which may be seems to evaporate as soon as an unplanned incident occurs....

L

So Taff, which club will you be joining? or will you just stick with a 300wsm?

Concentrating on my bow at the moment, a lot of the forestry company's prefer bow hunters, as they don,t leave lead in the trees, but may join the local pistol club later, Glock 17 looks good, but seen a nice 50 cal on trade me

Its good to hear that Bow Hunting has its fans in the corporate world, a refreshing change to the usual derisory nonsense, I expect you are now extremly profficient at it, still probably worth having something in the cupboard for the longer range though, keep us posted. atb