Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ground clear for calibre?

Ground clear for calibre?

Could someone please clarify this for me?

I had a conversation with my local FEO this morning who was very pleasant, about applying for my FAC. He said that he would need to see if the ground that I put on my application is suitable for the specific centre fire calibre I apply for.

Now, I can understand someone looking at a piece of ground and saying whether or not it's suitable for rifle use on it, but if it is cleared for deer and centre fire use, surely whether it's a .243 or .308 makes little difference. It's a bit like saying you can't do as much damage with a .243 as you can with a .308.

I may be confused?

Mark

welcome to the wacky world of firearms licensing LOL, because its your first rifle/FAC application they will want to check the land you have permission to shoot on.It may be already cleared for upto 308 cal,

Get some experience with rifles under your belt and in a while you might get an open ticket,

it all depends on your FLO mate, in some areas applicants get open tickets and any rifle they want on 1st application.Other areas FLOs like you to work up the calibres etc,

Its a minefield mate,

Good luck

KJF

Speak with your shooting organisation & get a full & frank explanation from them before you jump in!.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I use goggle earth to find out if there are paths houses etc that will make the land or shooting direction unsafe , then make a case with the facts on paper for the land to be cleared and why it would be safe to shoot eyz cal's who is to say that you don't/won't only shoot only from high seats or out of a barn ? every flo should follow the rules/format as set down but sadly each division don't
    good luck, stick to your rights but should if it fail understand he may just be getting told no as this is your fist cf/rf rifle , in any event if its no get it in writing as to why not you could find a mentor nr you and also find a shooting partner ?

I met 2 different FEO's recently, nothing was mentioned in relation to calibre, they just stated the land would be cleared for 'full bore'.
    Cheers
    Richard

I spoke to two different forces, one where the land is they said cleared for full bore,my own said not on data base?
    DONT START

Dont want to hijack the thread so mods please move/delete if not appropriate! Just out of interest, does anyone know how this usually plays out (or have experience of this) in Hampshire?

I'm hoping to do my DSC1 early next year and apply for my FAC after that and I'd be interested to know how Hampshire treat first applications in terms of having permissions already, open/closed licences, calibre restrictions and so on?

That seems the sensible and logical approach!
    Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    I met 2 different FEO's recently, nothing was mentioned in relation to calibre, they just stated the land would be cleared for 'full bore'.
    Cheers
    Richard

i think you will find mark when it comes to firearms depts,,,,,there isnt a sensible or logical in any of their filing cabinets!!
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    Cheers
    Richard
    This has been the response from my FEO everytime & avoids the calibre issue, an excellent approach which personally I think should be adopted by all.