Thread: Feed To Attract Roe Deer

Feed To Attract Roe Deer

Hi all i would like some info on feed which might attract roe on fresh cut clear fell,i had the idea of just scattering chicory seed or rape seed but im not sure if it would work,would it also help to improve the quality of the bucks taken due to better feed my ground is high up and block conifer.
    Amberdog

Hi,
    Chicory is very good deer feed but they do tend to graze it too hard and kill it. Is used in NZ to help fatten deer, also I believe has some anti-parasitic properties.
    I would definitely try some but probably included with other stuff. Red clover? Let us know how it goes.

Red clover has worked for me before, but Roe being picky feeders may find the normal herbs and flora that start to come up now that the light can get in just as attractive. Also a feed block atop a 4"x4" oak post can be a magnet - high enough so the deer can't reach it but they'll lick the runoff from the post itself. A metal spike will secure the block.

As has been said a feed block, longer term you could plant some rose bushes dog rose[wild rose] raspberry, bramble, crab apple,
    ivy, all of these are enjoyed by Roe.

Had roe feeding like mad on lucern all last summer on one of my patches (a bit like clover but taller v lush keeps growing all season). Though the best tip that I heard was on here from someone (I can't remember who) who said just fling some NPK fertiliser about. Roe love a bit of lush grass that's going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by liongeorge View Post
    Though the best tip that I heard was on here from someone (I can't remember who) who said just fling some NPK fertiliser about. Roe love a bit of lush grass that's going for it.
    +1
    works well in foresty where decent variety of food source is limited