Land cleared for...

private fraser

Query... you are given permission to shoot over some land,you have an open ticket for your .308 but as I often see the phrase "land cleared for .308" I'm wondering must you check to see if the land is cleared for.308?.
If so how do you go about it...check with police for the area I suppose?.

fraser

Are you referring to a true open ticket or one which states "on land deemed suitable by the chief of police"? I know on the old FACs you had your land named, but on newer ones you can shoot anywhere that is cleared? If that is the case then you should ask the land owner, and if they don't know then ask the police.

With a true "open" ticket you can shoot where you want as long as you have permission from the land owner. In theory I could shoot in my garden! That is worded as "on land you have lawful authority to shoot".

Sorry meant to say, it's a recent issue and is worded "on land over which you have lawful authority to shoot".
It just seems a bit of a conundrum the land cleared for thing versus land over which you have authority to shoot...which looks as if it's the shooter who decides.

fraser

The clearing of land I think is intended as a guide for new shooters. Once you get the idea of what's safe and what isn't they will allow you more freedom. An experienced gun should know where to pull the trigger and more importantly where he should not, so when he gets to that point he's released from the grasp of the police and allowed to fend for himself.

I have a piece of ground that was cleared for rimfire only and I use my 6.5x55 there. Out of the 200 acres there is one place and one direction I can shoot in that offers a safe backstop. The ground wasn't cleared for bigger I assume because a new shooter could take a different line of fire, which would be dangerous.

Sorry meant to say, it's a recent issue and is worded "on land over which you have lawful authority to shoot".
It just seems a bit of a conundrum the land cleared for thing versus land over which you have authority to shoot...which looks as if it's the shooter who decides.

fraser
as stated Fraser from the wording on your ticket yours is a true open ticket therefore if you have authority to shoot the land you make the decision as to whether you deem it safe for your chosen caliber.

Last edited:

To avoid any misunderstanding and possible misinformation, can you give the full wording of the condition as it appears on your certificate?

I have yet to see a 'closed ticket' being issued on a Scottish FAC before - even on a first time application.

The clearing of land I think is intended as a guide for new shooters. Once you get the idea of what's safe and what isn't they will allow you more freedom. An experienced gun should know where to pull the trigger and more importantly where he should not, so when he gets to that point he's released from the grasp of the police and allowed to fend for himself.

I have a piece of ground that was cleared for rimfire only and I use my 6.5x55 there. Out of the 200 acres there is one place and one direction I can shoot in that offers a safe backstop. The ground wasn't cleared for bigger I assume because a new shooter could take a different line of fire, which would be dangerous.

Thanks to all, that's a pretty good example from njc above. I understand the situation now.

fraser

In theory I could shoot in my garden! That is worded as "on land you have lawful authority to shoot".
, Heh Heh Heh, been there , done that!:D, followed by a couple of weeks of to'ing & fro'ing by the flo & a sargeant of a certain a.t. unit, finally agreeing to disagree & hoping the report has gone to the bottom of the folder!:lol:

Back