Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glowing camouflage clothes

Glowing camouflage clothes

How effective is some of the commercial camouflage clothing when seen through the animal's eyes?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IR-camo.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	877

This is a picture taken by an IR wildlife camera and that glowing jacket is made by Winchester and has a Realtree print. The jacket on the left is a good old British issue DPM one, I know these are IR treated as standard. I never use washing powder with my hunting kit so the 'bluey white' enhancing additives can't be to blame for the glow.

I have had deer walk up pretty close to me whilst wearing it so I presume it works in the field but I certainly wouldn't want to appear in a 'Police, Camera, Action' helicopter shot wearing it. You'd be prosecuted for trying to blind the NV cameraman

Looks like the old DPM windsmock is coming out of retirement.

When the start shooting para military you'll be well up the list .

Leave the DPM kit to the guys who are paid to ware it, a pet hate of many who served is to see civvies waring the kit no matter where it came from .

I took a mate of mine to a shoot beating, by dinner time I had been told not to bring him back, if all he had to ware was military kit ,the people shooting really didn't want to see the kit they ware all week on a Saturday .

No one actually knows what animals see they've never found any that can talk yet.

Mel, that's a spooky photo, you have made me wonder about mine now

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    Leave the DPM kit to the guys who are paid to ware it, a pet hate of many who served is to see civvies waring the kit no matter where it came from .

I took a mate of mine to a shoot beating, by dinner time I had been told not to bring him back, if all he had to ware was military kit ,the people shooting really didn't want to see the kit they ware all week on a Saturday .
    I can't say I've ever had a problem like that, also not sure I'd want to be part of a crowd that felt that way either.

Oh, I'm one of the ones paid to wear it too, though not many in the groups I shoot with know that.

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    When the start shooting para military you'll be well up the list .

Widows Son - Not sure how to interpret the tone of your post. What shooting list will I be up and for what reason? Both of us are ex-forces (of many years) and HM the Q kindly issued the jackets to us along with some trousers, boots and quite a bit of other kit we were allowed to keep. Why shouldn't we wear it when out hunting?

know one i no has said that they disagree with it, but if you have on with a union jack on make sure you take it off as i was told you only get to ware one if your in the army/bin to war. ( im sure BwchDanas wil corect me if i was told incorectly)

Wear it with pride!! When the deer know that he military are coming at least they will have a fair chance!

Never ever heard of any shoot asking a member or former member of the armed forces not to come again simply because they wore DP clothing.

Mel and I have stalked right upto deer with his glow-jacket. So can vouch for it not spooking the deer but as for his looks......LOL

It looks like deer can't see red too well. There is a pretty good article (What Deer Really See) here http://www.realtree.com/community/feature.php?ID=299

I was also once told that deer don't generally worry about looking up too far because they have no real aerial predators (in the UK at least) and that's why high seats are useful tools. This article suggests the reason high seats are useful hunting positions is due to the design of the deer's eye - apparently they have built in sun shades called Corpra Nigrans at the top of the pupil.

Corpra Nigrans - Possibly a useful trademark for some hunting sunglasses

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    This is a picture taken by an IR wildlife camera and that glowing jacket is made by Winchester and has a Realtree print. The jacket on the left is a good old British issue DPM one, I know these are IR treated as standard. I never use washing powder with my hunting kit so the 'bluey white' enhancing additives can't be to blame for the glow.
    I don't think it's the IR (red) end of the spectrum that deer are particularly sensitive to, but the UV (blue) end. This is why normal washing powders are supposed to be bad as they have the UV active dies that make your whites seem "whiter than white".

SD Regular
    I also don't like seeing people at a shoot (or on a civilian range) wearing DPM. This mix of civilian and military clothing used to be called "mufti" and was frowned upon.

On the other hand not everbody can afford goretex or tweed and the genuine ex-military gear is usually good quality, hard wearing and weather proof. My son wears some all plain green Dutch Army trousers for beating. And the old tank suits of 1950s vintage were good for pigeon decoying.

But my real clothing peeve is peopl e playing cricket wearing "whites" and not "creams"! You used to feel as if you going out to bat against a team of bl**dy bakers on a lunchtime break!