Bds stalkers award

No.

I am not prepared to pay for a certificate that 'awards' previously paid for and completed courses/qualifications.
Also because the BDS will not take into consideration a LANTRA L2 Center-fire/fox control qualification, which I value much higher than a DCS1 or DCS2.
Finally because a BDS First Aid course will get more points than a non-BDS first aid course. Why?

I think the scheme is ill-conceived, a PR disaster, and rather pointless, despite it being based on points ;)

Slight off course tangent here ( no pun on courses intended), How many times have I experienced a wave off, on arriving at a site?, "Sorry pal" "We don't recognise that card here" "You need a CSCS OR WHATEVER", So my ccnsg or my scats or my whatever don't cut the mustard at the gate?...... but the HSE & other government depts recognise & sometimes administer all of these courses, So what gives, I reckon it's a mafia style money making set up!! ... sorry pal your CSCS is the wrong colour!!!! What a load of baloney!!!!!!!!!

So shifting the view to a deerstalkers / hunters perspective, what card /ticket /certificate will do it for you? Do points still make prizes?:rolleyes:

As a newish stalker with limited experience the plethora of certificates and course,s is mind boggling .Ive got D.S.C1 and been a first aider for ever n a day but will only do DSC2 when im a lot more experienced.This is the standard shooting problem too many organisations ,no unifying body with a set standard.if you didnt have any base knowledge you could be fleeced sideways doing all your tickets.work has the same issues ,working at heights,forktruck license first aid ,electric regs issue 17 .STOP it now one body ,one standard work together protect what we do and stop making it up as you go along .the pot is limited and theres only so much to go around

No.
Why do I need to pay someone money to recognise awards I already have?
Why is BDS first aid worth more the St Johns Ambulance who have been doing it a good bit longer?
It's all very nepotistic and somewhat damaging to the BDS who I think may have scored an own goal here?
This is badly timed, at a time when they probably need support. Bad idea!
Mr T

No.

Also a supporter and I think I know what they are trying to do but it is poorly thought through and unworkable in its current format.

No, it's not for me at this present time.

but it seems many are looking into it because there are people asking for confirmation that they have attended our dogs for deer course weather it be through UKDTR or the NGO.

not sure the BDS have thought this through as I have attended a few best practice events and deer impact assessment courses with nothing to prove I attended.

Whats the point ? All it will be for me is another badge in the cupboard and cost me time and money .
No thanks !
Chill

My opinions Cadex have been well documented I did not want to fuz the picture by putting mine here. Like tony says I am out spoken against money making scams like all the dogs for deer stuff going on at the moment. EG You pay us to train we will then put you on a register were you can help others for free. This supported by the BDS scam.

BDS are a charity that supports education supports joint study's in to deer related diseases and are concerned with deer welfare problem,s.
This Bronze silver and gold award dose not meet any of that.
I did ask what study's they have done in to the massive problem in Scotland regards out of season and night shooting and if there were any welfare issues.
Answer no we have not and I wonder why !!!!!!!!!!!!

My opinions Cadex have been well documented I did not want to fuz the picture by putting mine here. Like tony says I am out spoken against money making scams like all the dogs for deer stuff going on at the moment. EG You pay us to train we will then put you on a register were you can help others for free. This supported by the BDS scam.

BDS are a charity that supports education supports joint study's in to deer related diseases and are concerned with deer welfare problem,s.
This Bronze silver and gold award dose not meet any of that.
I did ask what study's they have done in to the massive problem in Scotland regards out of season and night shooting and if there were any welfare issues.
Answer no we have not and I wonder why !!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a complete money gathering/member chasing excerise and hopefully will not take of as last thing u need are more useless tickets.
But i bet similar argument where made for DSC1/2 when they came out, althou atleast they are semi decent qualifications that atleast prove a very basic level of knowledge and practical ability, nothing more. To many people give them to much credit, as my old sensei used to say when u achieve a black belt u have only mastered the basics and u then can really start learning.

Even this whole CPD thing is just complete ******** too, dreamed up by management and stoked up by folk making a fortune selling substandard cousres. Fair enough if ur dealing with something that is constantly changing (computers or vets drugs etc) but deer hasnae really evolved that much in the past 50 years and doubt they'll evolve much in the next 50.

The only tickets i have that i value are my chainsaw tickets, the rest aren't worth the paper their printed on including an BSc degree, and even with the chainsaw its the on the job training and being lucky enough to work with a few real old timers that taught me those old boys will have forgot more than i'll ever know. My mates dad is best cutter in this area on big hardwoods never had a ticket or training in his life (or wear any safety gear for that matter)
Even with the chainsaw u now have this FISA nonesense u have to do every 5 years, i firmly believe every day is a school day and u never know it all, but a course designed by someone who couldnae start a saw is not benfitical to anyone. even the instructors say that (and some of the 'new' improved cuts are actually more dangerous and have far less room for error in them than the ones ur not meant to do now, but look prettier) U could not make any money or get any work done if u done wot ur meant to do on the course.

Even turning up for a 1 day best practice or anything else will not overturn years of doing something the old way. I realise hygene has moved on massively but when u see game dealers lump deer on top of birds in the van just makes a mockery of everything
How many folk (with dsc1/2) can stilll remember the lymp nodes names and actually check the ones in the head?

As for the night shooting, i dinae enntirely agree with it in its present form, but it is not wot u like to make out and really is not an issue for territorial deer
Is there any welfare issues shooting foxes or rabbits at nite rather than throu the day?
I seriously doubt there is any actual welfare issues shooting deer at night, doubt the deer is really bothered when it gets hit with a bullet.
U could probably argue it is actually better for welfare if achieving the cull with less visits/disturbance.

I think u are being very harsh, (which is not like u) while ur calling the whole deer dog training thing a 'scam'.

A few years ago. Were u not 1 of the most vocal anti fancy european hound breeds/fashion accessory dogs? Wot do u now own?
Where u not a firm believer in not training ur dog and letting it learn on the job? And all these scent shoes and artifical tracks were bollacks and gimmicks?

The deer dog thing is completely different ur trying to educate the vast majority who hav absolutley no idea the 'correct/best'/easiest way to train and work a deer dog.
Gun dog trainers charge for training or open days why should others not? Its not that dear anyway and its more an investment into having a decent dog and will pay for itself many times over rather than having a pooerly trained dog which spoils stalks and is a pita
I doubt the deer dog 'brgade' will be rebranded and repackaging there cousre in 5-10 years as the way they change dogs has trained or needs to be updated to keep money coming, yes possibly more advanced courses as both trainers/handlers and dogs improve

Aye aye Countrryboy.
UKSHA will never ever charge money for ANY training or advice or recovery attempts etc.
We do not do this for money......it is all at our own expense,being taught by very experienced people and then passing that knowledge on to the stalking public for free.......

NOT AT COST.

Fair play to u george and ur members but not every body can afford to do that. And don't see why u should have too, It brillaint wot ur doing but it should not cost u money.

I see no reason u should not be paid for ur time and effort and knowledge.
Is it really any different to working ur dogs on a shoot and i expect to be paid for doing that (and usually moan not paid enough );).

In my opinion u should atleast be getting desiel/travel expenses but would have no problem paying ur time either and think u deserve it.
Don't see why others should subsidise my hobby or my **** ups and esp so if working for pro stalkers taking clients out. If i need a properly trained tracking hound i should be paying for the privaledge, may make me think about taking a similar shot in the future
But this is off the topic

Back