Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help from builders

Help from builders

Folks,

I am looking for some help with information on roughly how much it would cost to replace the curbstones on the below driveway? just a rough cost per meter would be fine if that's possible including materials, labour etc..

Regards,

Gixer

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	curbs.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	60219

you dont want builders, you need groundworkers,

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post

Ok, can any groundworkers help?

Regards,

Gixer

no...its definatly builders you want....unless you have footings, trenches or drainage put in....

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    +1 - those are edgings, not curbs - if they're not too damaged then they can be removed and reset - a builder will charge you more than a groundworker.

Linear meterage rate will depend upon how many metres - how long is your drive?
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

What about the tarmac? thats going to move or break,
    DONT START

Tarmac is fine and still has its edge, it would be removing the old "edgings" and replacing, there's about 80m total but not all would need replaced hence why I was hoping for a per meter rate.

Regards,

Gixer

Quote Originally Posted by gixer1 View Post
    Tarmac is fine and still has its edge, it would be removing the old "edgings" and replacing, there's about 80m total but not all would need replaced hence why I was hoping for a per meter rate.

Regards,

Gixer
    To be honest, you might as well do the whole lot rather than a bit here and a bit there - Foxy's right, the Tarmac will get damaged but any ground worker worth their salt would saw cut the wearing course around 6-8" from the edging and then repair the whole run when finished.

The edgings need to be set in/on a decent concrete haunch under the ground - not replacing 100% will make this difficult.

Gauging your 80mtrs in guessing that's a 40mtr drive(?) - I would say that's a weeks work for 2 guys plus a machine driver.

Split edgings are quite cheap, as is a bit of blinding and dry set - the biggest bit is gonna be the labour - probably looking at 120-150/day/guy and a bit for the machine - say around 2.5k for the job
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

If you dig the turf away from the backing you can break that out, remove the edging without damaging the bed and replace with new ones and back them up again with concrete, you should be able to do it without damaging the tarmac.if some gets damaged get some cold tar, to repair, most merchants sell it, the new ones need to be cut the same length as old ones that come out.
    Last edited by swarovski; 17-08-2015 at 19:04.

Thanks for the input folks, I really don't think the tar has any damage as there are no cracks etc, I am looking for a price as I rent the property out and the tenants have not bothered weed killing the edges and the weeds are getting worse between the edges and tar, I commented on this to the factor and he said that they shouldn't cause any lasting damage, I told him "bollo**s" and that if the edges come away it would be an expensive fix...

thanks again for the input.

Regards,
    gixer