Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Bargains have you found

What Bargains have you found

Last year after a long restoration project in Franc. all i needed to complete the work was two balcony railings, I took the measurements to a steel fabricator only to find he had closed down, Back in the UK i saw some long railings on Ebay and thinking that i could probably alter them to suit i waited until the last fifteen seconds then placed my bid.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	railings1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	343.9 KB 
ID:	60223Click image for larger version. 

Name:	railings2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	291.0 KB 
ID:	60224 Well i won the railings for the grand sum of 99p so a few hours with the angle grinder and a pot of paint and i was very pleased with the results, What Bargains have you found, Cheers Geoff

I find that eBay is no longer the bargain basement it was in the early days, things mostly sell for what they're worth now. I often track several similar items to those I'm interested in and the price always tends to settle at similar levels. Which is fair enough really. But where it's invaluable is precisely when you'r trying to find something a bit obscure like a couple of balcony railings. Where else are you going to find that?

Now that said, I bought my Swarovski Habicht 7x42 binos on eBay from a bloke in Italy for €300. Then I sent them to the UK importer for s service, and a few weeks later an essentially brand new pair of binos was delivered to my doorstep from Austria. That, I consider a bargain!

Hi Pine Martin I have the same binos and without doubt they were a bargain, I was looking on ebay and found a startrite combination woodworking machine that had ten minute to run and the bidding was around the £100 mark, i placed my bid of £450 at the last minute and won the item for £250 when i went to collect it it had loads of tooling and cutters with it, I took it to france and used it for around three years making doors, windows, floorboards, etc. When we got to the stage of rebuilding the lounge it was in the way. When i mentioned that i was going to sell it one of the expats who comes to my clay shoot offered me £900, I agreed and he is over the moon with it.
    Last edited by geoffrey; 17-08-2015 at 15:46.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffrey View Post
    .... i saw some long railings on Ebay and thinking that i could probably alter them to suit i waited until the last fifteen seconds then placed my bid...

Get Auction Sniper - saves all the faffing around.

Auction Sniper: eBay Sniper and eBay Bidding snipe, bid sniping for eBay

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Quote Originally Posted by Eyefor View Post
    Get Auction Sniper - saves all the faffing around.

Auction Sniper: eBay Sniper and eBay Bidding snipe, bid sniping for eBay

Using bots like that is cheating. It's like using a smartphone in a pub quiz, it's unbelievably annoying.

Picked up a set of honda quad tires and rims, brand new, with the only wear being when the quad was on/off loaded at the customers house. Price $40 ($10 each)

As soon as he bought it he wanted some of the new SUPER MONSTER TERROR TIRES and RIMS (or whatever brand they were called) and said he had no need for the stock ones. Offered $50, he countered with $40 but I had to come over and haul them away.

Pinemarten

What are you talking about? Try it and you'll never look back.

F

Agree with PM on both the comments, no real bargains anymore but if I see something I do the work myself even if it requires a late night sit up & stalk normally placing a bid and then in the last 2-3 second confirming it, if i loose well i gave it my best shot!

Plenty of bargains. Complete shower for £70. Cost over £700 in the shop. About £700 worth of wood for £48 for the woodburner. 12inch twin wall flue for £68 that I didn't need and then sold on for about £350. Plenty more at one time or another.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

I don't think true bargains have been available on Ebay for well over a decade - at least for any common consumer goods. Clearly bargains can be had for niche stuff (ie. things with a very restricted market), but for everything else, you might as well either buy new or direct from a shop.