Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bedding a stock

Bedding a stock

Hi I'm thinking of bedding my cz452. What's the best way to do this? Or how much should I pay to have it done?

Recoil lug area and rear tang area is all you need to do if it needs doing.

2 part epoxy will do the job.

How much would you charge to do it?

Depends how much it needs or if it needs anything but no more 70 tops.

The 452 doesn't have a recoil lug. I've looked at bedding mine before but can't see a simple way to do it and it shoots alright so haven't bothered.

I didn't end up doing mine. I noticed that the stock was just touching the barrel. So I sanded the stock and re waxed it. Shoots well now.

The recoil lug is at the rear of the action, the detachable bit the rear action screw goes through. I however just bedded the front of the action and about 1" of the barrel. This was because the barrel was touching the stock and couldn't be remidied just by sanding the barrel channel.

I think if I was to bed mine I would weld the nut thing onto the action to make it more like a proper recoil lug and the. Pillar bed bed as normal.

My first time on this (or any other thread) so please forgive any minor errors.

I usually restock my rifles to fit me (short arms, fat hands and face) and have always used Acraglas or (more recently, Acraglas Gel) but cannot now find a supplier in UK with any stock which has not become unusable.

Have decided to use Devcon 10110 but can only find reference in UK to: -

1. Devcon Plastic Steel Putty

2 Devcon Titanium Putty,

3. Devcon Plastic Steel Liquid,

4. Devcon Stainless Steel Putty,

5. Devcon Bronze Putty.

None of the above are numbered 10110 which seems to be the favoured version in USA

My questions are : -

a. Why Cannot I find Devcon 10110 in UK

b. Has anyone used any of the above versions of Devcon and if so, which would anyone recommend above the others and why?

c. I am now restocking with a wood (walnut) stock and it seems to me that for best adhesion (and to fill fully any of the nooks and crannies I will create in the blank, it may be best to use the Plastic
    Steel Liquid but if this is as runny as standard Acraglas I may be better off with one or other of the Devcon products referred to above.

d. How runny are the other Devcon Putties? - are they equivalent to Acraglas Gel (in which O.K) or are they like the putty used to seal windows (in which case I do not feel they would satisfactorily fill the voids around the pillars or the bedding blocks?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated - Thanks in advance.

Keith Rippin

Quote Originally Posted by keith rippin View Post
    My first time on this (or any other thread) so please forgive any minor errors.

I usually restock my rifles to fit me (short arms, fat hands and face) and have always used Acraglas or (more recently, Acraglas Gel) but cannot now find a supplier in UK with any stock which has not become unusable.

Have decided to use Devcon 10110 but can only find reference in UK to: -

1. Devcon Plastic Steel Putty

2 Devcon Titanium Putty,

3. Devcon Plastic Steel Liquid,

4. Devcon Stainless Steel Putty,

5. Devcon Bronze Putty.

None of the above are numbered 10110 which seems to be the favoured version in USA

My questions are : -

a. Why Cannot I find Devcon 10110 in UK

b. Has anyone used any of the above versions of Devcon and if so, which would anyone recommend above the others and why?

c. I am now restocking with a wood (walnut) stock and it seems to me that for best adhesion (and to fill fully any of the nooks and crannies I will create in the blank, it may be best to use the Plastic
    Steel Liquid but if this is as runny as standard Acraglas I may be better off with one or other of the Devcon products referred to above.

d. How runny are the other Devcon Putties? - are they equivalent to Acraglas Gel (in which O.K) or are they like the putty used to seal windows (in which case I do not feel they would satisfactorily fill the voids around the pillars or the bedding blocks?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated - Thanks in advance.

Keith Rippin
    This thread suggests that 10112 is the same as 10110:

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...3-Devcon-10110