Thread: Moderator question.

Moderator question.

I'm using a A tec cmm4 on my .308 at the moment, which is fine , but was just wondering if there's anything out there even better? Similar design end on moderator. It's just that this was the first one I got and have not compared it to anything else really. Thanks.

They are all pretty similar to be honest unless you get s massive over barrel thing. The difference lies in weight, durability and stripability.

I have an ASE utra SL5 which is heavier than your mod but OK for all day on the range as well as stalking.

Quote Originally Posted by tomblincoe View Post
    I have an ASE utra SL5 which is heavier than your mod but OK for all day on the range as well as stalking.
    +1

Down your way you could ask Julian at JMS arms to test fire MAE/PES moderators, he has them available to try, they have brought out some new models recently that are smaller than the old T12 jobs. That said, if you want quiet, a T12 is the way to go, but its probably about 3 or 4 times as heavy as the mod you have currently, but you would notice the difference in muzzle flip and recoil not to mention sound reduction.
    Its all horses for courses, weight and size normally meaning quieter and less recoil etc, lightweight, you compromise on these things, but your shoulder will thank you for not having to carry the weight! It all depends on the individual and your type of stalking as to what would suit best.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

The other ones to consider are the Aimsport ones that Alan Rhone sells, they apparently have a very good reputation and are a very light moderator but claim some bold figures on sound reduction.....
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

The first mod I owned was a T8, and I was an instant convert ot moderator use. Certainly on the 243, it became possible to watch the whole shot through the scope, from muzzle flash to deer reaction. The down-side was that it turned my rifle into an unwieldy club which had to be carried upside down to stop it constantly slipping off the shoulder. I then bought a CMM4 for my 308 and never looked back. Admittedly It was a lot more difficult to "watch" the shot, but muzzle flip and recoil were still reduced and the report of the rifle deadened significantly. This one did double duty on both my 308 & 243 for a few years untill I just recently managed to do a deal on a second CMM4 for my 243.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

I agree. There are lots of mods out there and the all have their pros and cons. The best way is to read reviews and see if you can borrow them and try them.

Aan Rhone's no longer does them, fed up of them I dare say. It's highland outdoors now. I had a full refund for my aimzonic as did a couple others I know about. The end cans are fine but the reflex keeps blowing o'rings
    Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    The other ones to consider are the Aimsport ones that Alan Rhone sells, they apparently have a very good reputation and are a very light moderator but claim some bold figures on sound reduction.....
    I'm Now using the DPT reflex. So far I'm very pleased. Light weight, low price and life time warrenty.