Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25-06 REM bullet choice

25-06 REM bullet choice

I will get my Savage Axis II in 25-06 in the next weeks. It's coming from France as in Spain, where I live, there is very little availability of rifles and ammo in this caliber. And now to the purpose of this thread, my choice of ammo is limited to:

Hornady Whitetail 117gr (Interlock)
    Hornady SST 117gr (already discarded)
    Federal Fusion 120gr
    Federal SPEER HOT CORE 117gr
    Remington Core Lockt 100gr

The target animals will be roe, chamois, fallow and hinds. The odd boar could also cross in my way while stalking, but I will continue using my 30.06 in night boar hunts and for reds.

I have already ordered a couple of boxes of 117gr Hornady Interlocks that will arrive with the rifle, but I'm open and eager to read your suggestions as I've no experience at all with the 25.06 and it's an unknown round in Spain.

I find if the rifle is a 1-10 twist, a 100gn Sierra Prohunter 1620 works well...very well if the right propellant choice is made. Mine fly best from my 22" barrel with around 53gns IMR4350. The heavier 115 & 117gn bullets...well, I haven't needed to get to these as the 100gn does the job perfectly well. On heavy stags too.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Myself and a pal rate the Federal 117 Hot Cor.....seriously good ammo

I've found Remington Core-Lokt 120gr to be quite accurate. I've also then reloaded that brass with something else and had good results too. I've not tried any of the other exact same types you mention. If you can possibly get hold of others I would say that Sako 117gr Gamekings are in my experience great as a factory round.

If you are tempted to reload my experiences of the following have been excellent but of course things may be different in another gun.
    Sierra 100gr gamekings with N560
    Hornady 110gr Interbonds with IMR 4831

I've heard it said that a 117gr is the optimum but to be honest I've found anything from 100 to 117 great.

Deenangeo, it’s not the first time I heard good things about the Sierra Prohunter. The rifle has 1-12” twist in a 22” barrel. What amazes me is your experience with stags and just 100gns. I’m used to 150-165gns in my 30.06 for them. I’m looking forward to experience my new rifle.

Unfortunately I don’t reload and not tempted yet in the next future. By the way, it seems that I will also be able to get the Barnes TTSX in 100gns, another interesting round for the 25-06 that I might give a try.

.25-06 should strike like lightening with 85-110grns.

You mention 117grn, should also do the trick just a little slower.

Deer are a lightly armoured target easily damaged, Boar probably the opposite end of the spectrum. I would not recommend a the calibre for Boar but it would not stop it from killing them with the correct shot.

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    Quote Originally Posted by deeangeo View Post
    I find if the rifle is a 1-10 twist, a 100gn Sierra Prohunter 1620 works well...very well if the right propellant choice is made. Mine fly best from my 22" barrel with around 53gns IMR4350. The heavier 115 & 117gn bullets...well, I haven't needed to get to these as the 100gn does the job perfectly well. On heavy stags too.
    22" barrel! Ever chrono your loads? Do you get anywhere close to the potential of that very fine round? Just wondering.

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    Quote Originally Posted by th32 View Post
    Deenangeo, it’s not the first time I heard good things about the Sierra Prohunter. The rifle has 1-12” twist in a 22” barrel. What amazes me is your experience with stags and just 100gns. I’m used to 150-165gns in my 30.06 for them. I’m looking forward to experience my new rifle.

Unfortunately I don’t reload and not tempted yet in the next future. By the way, it seems that I will also be able to get the Barnes TTSX in 100gns, another interesting round for the 25-06 that I might give a try.
    You will be reloading before long. The Barnes TTSX bullets are awesome and I would think a 100 gr. TTSX would work just fine for the animals over there. Usually very accurate to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by A Guy Out West View Post
    22" barrel! Ever chrono your loads? Do you get anywhere close to the potential of that very fine round? Just wondering.
    100gn Sierra with my load avg MV 3257fps - ES 26fps
    110gn Nosler Accubond avg MV 3120fps - ES 28fps

These are my numbers and just field tested. It's possible to get loads chrono'd under official test conditions here at the Birmingham Proof House for a
    fee, but I haven't because: The loads would be tested in their barrel, not mine & the result therefore meaningless. So, in my view it's better just to check your own and believe that result is the most meaningful.

You could check a load through two different chrono's comparing the difference & taking a mean average. ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by th32 View Post
    With a 1-12 twist I'd say you are more likely to shoot lighter weight bullets better than heavier ones. Usually the faster the twist, the more suitable to stabilise heavier bullets. You can check out some stags shot with 100 & 110gn bullets in my photo gallery. I heard good things about Barnes bullets but haven't tried them.