Thread: Roe Antlers - how do they vary from year to year

Roe Antlers - how do they vary from year to year

Difficult question to answer but does a Roe Buck grow a similar type of antler each year - appreciate that as he gets older antlers tend to get thicker and longer, and then when starts going back they keep the lenght but get more spindly, but will they tend to follow the same sort of shape. For example this year he has a wonky left tine, will it be the same again next year, or will his antlers be very different.

Am trying to work outhow to recognise the same buck from year to year - should I being looking for gorget patches, cuts from ears etc than his antlers.

I had a buck that a friend of mine stalked and he was lets just say not typical with curling tines sweeping back. He didnt connect with this buck and the following year in the rut on the same patch within 20 yards was a buck with very similar antlers. I did not connet with him but did notice he had a scar on his face and his ear was torn the following year i connected with the buck in the same place and he had a very similar type of head and he made gold weighing in at 610grm . So i have got to say if they remain on the same ground and eat the same grub and are left alone there will be no real change except weight and volume.
    Last edited by 6pointer; 23-04-2010 at 12:30.

The size of antlers can vary from year to year, but the shape may stay constant.

roe buck

ive been keeping my eye on a buck for the last few years and his head has'nt changed much at all just a little bigger and thicker. so last year i decided to take him and guess what im still trying. he is very smart this buck and the challange is back on this year . if i do get him i will have worked for him, so it will be that bit more pleasing i'll keep you posted...

Quote Originally Posted by bunnydan View Post
    ive been keeping my eye on a buck for the last few years and his head has'nt changed much at all just a little bigger and thicker. so last year i decided to take him and guess what im still trying. he is very smart this buck and the challange is back on this year . if i do get him i will have worked for him, so it will be that bit more pleasing i'll keep you posted...
    This is what hunting/stalking is all about,trying to out wit a particular animal, when you get him as i hope you do, the satisfaction will be immense and also a bit sad as it's over.

Moose