Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weihrauch magazine

weihrauch magazine

hi folks I have a weihrauch hw60 in .17HMR and have found the magazine spring to now be underpowered resulting in feeding issues.

I have one mag which I don't even bother with now and another which is on its way out but still usable. I don't leave them loaded so not sure if its a common problem or not as they for sure have not been misused.

I spoke to hull cartridge and asked about replacement springs but they didn't really sound interested and told me the only option is to replace the magazine. They look to be around the 50 mark so am not keen as the mag otherwise seems really high quality and who is to say the next one wont go the same way.

I was hoping somebody else has solved this problem or knows somebody who can and would be able to point me in the right direction.

the annoying thing is I love the rifle and the trigger is divine, I was considering a second one to replace my .22 but not any more!

cheers

Greg

Few things......

I'm in the process of waiting for my variation for a 66J Production (.22 Hornet) so have been watching and reading various mag issue threads on these rifles - hasn't put me off, yet, as the rifles are so good!

Firstly, if any mag malfunctioned on me I know my RFD would replace it and then quibble with HC afterwards. HC don't seem to deal well with Joe Public but do if they're talking to one of there dealers who have a bit of clout with them (which mine does).

Secondly, if I was to find myself in that limbo out of warranty type place, I think I'd have a go myself - dismantle the mag, measure the spring and number of coils and then get on the Radio Spares website and order a selection in various strengths (and of good quality). To me it just sounds like they've had the odd bad batch of springs which are failing but big enough of a batch to have issues highlighted on the web here and there.

Give it a go - it's not really 'smith territory and you're going to bin the one mag anyway?
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

hi Hereford, I had decided yesterday to give it a go myself. I guess you cant really go too far wrong with the spring and its strength.

one thing the guy at hull asked was "is it a genuine hull import" apparently they have the hull name on the barrel or action. the guy said the non genuine ones with short barrels had some problems due to overpressure but not sure I understand that and took it with a pinch of salt. perhaps worth looking for the marking when you are shopping.

what annoyed me was that it was like talking to a brick wall and no matter how many questions or suggestions I had it ended up with "you need a new magazine". although not listed in the catalogue you would think HC would at least ask weihrauch on my behalf for springs. I ended up mailing them direct.

I am looking to get a second .22 and fancied another HW 60 but am a bit put off although that might change if I fix the mag easily.

I would persist and try the fix if I were you - and consider them again for your .22lr.

HC can seem a bit impatient if you are a member of the public but the guy is right about genuine vs grey imports. HC are the only official importer of Weihrauch to the UK so on all air rifles, air pistols, rf and ctr fire you should see Hull Cartridge stamped on them next to the serial no.

Some retailers in the UK (naming no names) sell grey imported Weihrauchs at obviously cheaper
    prices - I'm not sure that it would make them unsafe though, unless they've been worked on before they get over here and the proofing is invalidated.....? Who knows? It's enough for me to have the warranty back up of a genuinely imported one, so he could have just said that if he wanted to push you that way......

Either way - keep us posted on the fix - I'm sure it'll work fine and like you said I don't perceive any safety issues with you DIY
    Last edited by Hereford; 19-08-2015 at 19:00.

Ctrl-Alt FACT

Shooting supplies in Bromsgrove deal direct with weihrauch they'll sort you out

ive used and handled many weihrauch RF and CF rifles I've only ever seen one stamped with HC on the barrel

hi Hereford, I bought myself a new sauer for Christmas and from what I was told is that the shipping is pretty quick and straight forward as the proofing from certain countries (Germany being one) is accepted in the UK. I remember when I bought my 10/22 it took ages as the shipment had to go through proof in Birmingham.

so that being said I am unsure what the difference between a hull rifle and another is? to be honest I may be tempted to buy from elsewhere, if it is a retail outlet then I would think they may be more helpful then HC.

Quote Originally Posted by Markfox View Post
    Shooting supplies in Bromsgrove deal direct with weihrauch they'll sort you out

ive used and handled many weihrauch RF and CF rifles I've only ever seen one stamped with HC on the barrel

thanks Mark, I will look them up and give them a buzz. hopefully they will come up trumps.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by gmorrice96 View Post
    hi Hereford, I bought myself a new sauer for Christmas and from what I was told is that the shipping is pretty quick and straight forward as the proofing from certain countries (Germany being one) is accepted in the UK. I remember when I bought my 10/22 it took ages as the shipment had to go through proof in Birmingham.

so that being said I am unsure what the difference between a hull rifle and another is? to be honest I may be tempted to buy from elsewhere, if it is a retail outlet then I would think they may be more helpful then HC.
    HC officially distribute (solely) to RFD's in the UK - you don't deal direct with them. You're right, there's nothing stopping anyone bringing them in but it does get messy when warranty rears its ugly head. As I said, the guys shorter-barrel-over-pressure-statement was a bit odd.....

Ctrl-Alt FACT

Hi all,

I also have had issues with my hw60 in .22 hornet, the mag doesn't like to take the four rounds that it is designed for, as my gun is only 6 months old and has hc on the action i may have a go at getting another on warranty?

I think the product is far better than the distributor! My own experience with HC is that they really don't seem at all interested with the firearm side of Weihrauch. When I was thinking of getting my Hornet they were singularly unhelpful. The rifle is top class and despite a lot of use has had no mag problems,