Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is to far

What is to far

http://z6.invisionfree.com/UK_Long_R...showtopic=1527

Just read this on a differnt forum and thought about calibres and ranges what would be classed as to far and is 500mtrs a good shot or pour judgement. What others calibres will stretch this far comfortably.

im not going into this one, the abilities of peoples equipment varys so much, as does thier ability to shoot. what is safe and in range for one person may not be for another. most centre fire rounds will still kill at very long ranges, 1000+ yrds. i personaly think good and bad shots should be left on the range in paper targets only. the only shots on animals should be lethal ones, not good or bad ones.

Skipp.

think you have to be a member to see it

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...ghlight=wraith I think this may have relevance to your question.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Choc View Post
    http://z6.invisionfree.com/UK_Long_R...showtopic=1527

Just read this on a differnt forum and thought about calibres and ranges what would be classed as to far and is 500mtrs a good shot or pour judgement. What others calibres will stretch this far comfortably.
    Choc, there are target shooters using 6.5, 7mm and above who can produce exceptional groups at a 1000 yds and more. I once produced a group at 600yds with a L1A1 that was easily covered with a fag packet. I have also struggled to make a decent group at 200yds in a strong wind

But, and it's a dilly, the targets don't move whereas live quarry do. I have read of calculations that say from the time you think about pulling the trigger, to the time your bullet hits a deer 100yds away, takes about a 20th of a second. A deer can take flight for many reasons, or even just move slightly, making your carefully measured shot into something of a lottery as to weather you have a clean kill or not. The more you extend the distance, the more chance there is for error! And when dealing with live quarry I feel it is essential to do all I can to minimise any suffering I might cause.

I take my terms of sporting reference from those people who do, and have in the past, stalk their quarry. So as to deliver the most humane dispatch possible for my selected quarry species. I realise that occasionally, for special reasons, a longer shot than normal might have to be taken, to relieve suffering, but it is not standard best prectise. Certainly not something I think should be boasted about. The chaps I really admire can stalk you in to a group of deer that do not know you are there, and if the shot does not present itself properly, will come away with a clean barrel, and consience.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    Choc, there are target shooters using 6.5, 7mm and above who can produce exceptional groups at a 1000 yds and more. I once produced a group at 600yds with a L1A1 that was easily covered with a fag packet. I have also struggled to make a decent group at 200yds in a strong wind

But, and it's a dilly, the targets don't move whereas live quarry do. I have read of calculations that say from the time you think about pulling the trigger, to the time your bullet hits a deer 100yds away, takes about a 20th of a second. A deer can take flight for many reasons, or even just move slightly, making your carefully measured shot into something of a lottery as to weather you have a clean kill or not. The more you extend the distance, the more chance there is for error! And when dealing with live quarry I feel it is essential to do all I can to minimise any suffering I might cause.

I take my terms of sporting reference from those people who do, and have in the past, stalk their quarry. So as to deliver the most humane dispatch possible for my selected quarry species. I realise that occasionally, for special reasons, a longer shot than normal might have to be taken, to relieve suffering, but it is not standard best prectise. Certainly not something I think should be boasted about. The chaps I really admire can stalk you in to a group of deer that do not know you are there, and if the shot does not present itself properly, will come away with a clean barrel, and consience.

ft
    Plus one for the prop!

Says it all really.

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

7mm WSM 162 grain, time of flight to 500yds, 0.6211 sec.. time of flight to 1000yds, 1.4589secs & it's a long time while you're waiting to hear the strike too!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

There was no way these chaps ever intended stalking they were waiting at the set distances i thank you for your reply,s for me it is about the stalking and if i ever had to take my cross hair off a deer /or Dial in then the shot would not be taken. So with my rifle thats a maximum of 200 mtr.

FLYTIE GREAT REPLY THANKS.

depends on different peoples ability but would say if you are not say over 95% sure you will get a first round kill then dont take the shot

I think I have shot them to 300M. I shot one at 200M during last fall's season. I prefer to shoot them close enough to smell. I still believe in hunting deer instead of assassinating them from long range.~Muir