Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Hare

Black Hare

I have only been living in this very rural part of Norfolk for a few months - and I have no permissions up here - so along with the munties and chinese water deer that stroll daily (and slowly!) through my paddock I have been amazed at the number of hare that I see all over the place.

Yesterday I was heading home and something caught my eye on a strip of headland as I drove past a field entrance. So I backed up and saw something dark sitting halfway down the field. At first I thought it was a big hare sitting up in shadow ... but all the rest in the same area were brown and when I glassed it, it was jet black, all over.

No doubt a black hare is not that rare, but I've never seen one before, so I thought I'd ask here.

BTW the icing on the cake was movement at the far end of the field past my black hare ... that turned into a healthy-looking big red hind, joined after a minute or two by her teenaged daughter.

I like it up here :-)

never seen a black hare ,but where i work there,s a black bunny jet black all over and a white one with black patches like a family pet colour.guess inbreeding with escaped domestics keeps the colour pool going
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

You say you have no permissions, then you mention Your Paddock, if you own it surely you can shoot on it, ok it will probably need a high seat to give you the angle for a backstop??? Unless of course you only rent it ????
    cheers
    Ray

Dead on Ray ... rented farm house and a couple of acres on an estate where the stalking is already let (to a very nice and well-established guy on whose toes I do not intend to tread).

Not an issue, I'm only an hour distant from my 'old' - and still current - team, so it's quite relaxing to know that I have nothing to do up here except maybe take some pictures and help with carcass recovery if asked :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Old-YOP View Post
    Dead on Ray ... rented farm house and a couple of acres on an estate where the stalking is already let (to a very nice and well-established guy on whose toes I do not intend to tread).

Not an issue, I'm only an hour distant from my 'old' - and still current - team, so it's quite relaxing to know that I have nothing to do up here except maybe take some pictures and help with carcass recovery if asked :-)
    Thats good to hear that you dont want to step on toes, unfortunately there are to many people out there that do NOT have your gentlemanly aproach to shooting
    best of luck finding some ground
    Cheers
    Ray

Never seen a black hare, but got some plenty of white Badgers.

Never seen a black hare but occasionally we have ones with a lot of white ie more than usual. We have black rabbits cropping up on a regular basis these are not feral domestics as they have been around for years. I presume that it a genetic trait that appears when the right two rabbits get together.

Never heard of a Black hare either. Used to live in Norfolk and know Hares are plentiful there though.
    In no way doubting you but would be great to see a pic if you can get one of him?
    Cheers
    FF

Hi FF

As far as "was it / wasn't it" jet black, we're talking about 3-4 minutes of stable & steady observation via Swaros (I had just cleaned the lenses) with the truck window wound down. Believe me, I was mentally winding through all the variables too ... but I kept glassing his (brown) mates and then going back to my boy, and no doubt about it. Jet black.

But that's a good idea, I will head back to the same spot and see if I can get a pic. The three teenage hares who live near me turn up in a group regular as clockwork every day, so maybe the black boy (or girl) stays close to home too :-)
    Last edited by Old-YOP; 20-08-2015 at 12:57.

From what I've been told, colour oddities in wild rabbits start to happen when there's over population in a single gene pool, such as in a warren. The inter-breeding starts to prduce genetic "freaks". I wonder if it's the same with hares?
    Up near RAF Marham I've seen a brown hare with extensive white markings, a sort of pie bald coat.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.