Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Travelling to Arran

Account Suspended

Anyone Travelling to Arran

New Conditions of Firearm certificate Holders.

Anyone now travelling to Arran or other destinations using CALMAC carring firearms or ammunition either in person or in a vehicle must declare them to the port at which they check in prior to boarding. also must have the required permit and be prepared to produce it when requested.
    All Firearms and ammunition must be handed over to a member of crew for safekeeping during the voyage, and the company reserves the right to refuse shipment.

Views on these conditions please

Ammunition only, is subject to these rules, last time we were on the Arran boat, we had a prolonged discussion with a spotty youth who demanded our stock, we told him he couldn't have it as it was "expanding", the top plod from Arran was also travelling that day & he agreed with us, so just to keep the peace we let them hold the bolts on route, it is in the small print about this situation, it seems they are not subject to the laws of the "land", maritime law is different so be prepared to comply.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

When did this happen? I travel with CALMAC on a regular basis, and this is the first I have heard of this, would also question the legality of handing over firearms and ammunition to a crew member, crew member would really need to be registered as a courier
    Whilst CALMAC may be registered as couriers, would think the person you hand over to would also need to be registered.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Ammunition only, is subject to these rules, last time we were on the Arran boat, we had a prolonged discussion with a spotty youth who demanded our stock, we told him he couldn't have it as it was "expanding", the top plod from Arran was also travelling that day & he agreed with us, so just to keep the peace we let them hold the bolts on route, it is in the small print about this situation, it seems they are not subject to the laws of the "land", maritime law is different so be prepared to comply.
    Yes it is in print and I refer you to CALMAC 2010 latest brochure page 96 under Firearms ( Next to last Page)

I am not sure that your statement in respect to marine law is correct as this only applies to vessels outside of the 30 mile limit that circumnavigates the British Isles so my interpretation would be as its within that limit British jurisdiction applies but I will stand being corrected on that.
    Thanks
    Stu
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 23-04-2010 at 13:01.

If you don't tell them they won't know, easy solution .

Just who out there examines the small print on a ticket " no one "for a ferry that takes 55 minutes.

Cal mac are not a RFD or a firearms certificate holder with your rifles on there certificate therefore have no right to hold any weapon or ammo ,for safe keeping its only safe when its in the certificate owners hands/home not someones cabin for them to do what ever with during the crossing .

What happens when you get it back with 2000+ worth of scope knackered, who do you ask for compensation ,for your wasted trip and a new scope Hmmmmmmmm.

As I made clear, it is the ammunition they want from you, & maritime law is different to the laws normally affecting us, when on a ship you do as the Captain requires, or you risk being refused transport, quite awkward when having found yourself in contravention at the wrong end of an island crossing!, as to not looking in the small print, we hadn't looked for around twenty or so crossings.......as a rather expensive legal type would tell you "ignorance is no defence"
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    If you don't tell them they won't know, easy solution .

Just who out there examines the small print on a ticket " no one "for a ferry that takes 55 minutes.

Cal mac are not a RFD or a firearms certificate holder with your rifles on there certificate therefore have no right to hold any weapon or ammo ,for safe keeping its only safe when its in the certificate owners hands/home not someones cabin for them to do what ever with during the crossing .

What happens when you get it back with 2000+ worth of scope knackered, who do you ask for compensation ,for your wasted trip and a new scope Hmmmmmmmm.
    I am in totall agreement with your view Robert Dont get me wrong I have only just read it on their conditions and thought I would post it up so would be travellers are aware and to find out what others think about CALMACs rules

finnbear : Ive been traveling with cal mac for the last 30+ years on a weekly basis I'm not going to tell the anything ,as far as I'm concerned I'm just like anyone else on the vessel a passenger ,why should i have my human rights brought into contention just because i have the right to carry and use a weapon and ammo for the purpose of shooting deer.

It can be inviting of further scrutiny , when you are in a defender with a fixed lamp, basc sticker, & wearing your best stalking gear, said spotty youth was intent on causing bother whatever the reason , he even digressed with my stalking buddy,in conversation on aircraft piloting skills , I had already decided he was what is known locally as a "Numpty", & distanced myself accordingly , later during passage we had a visit at the table in the saloon from the Cap'n himself who proceeded to regale us with said maritime law & it's differences to that applied to us common landlubbers. This may have all been driven by Griff shouting at us as he passed us at the quayside ticket booth in his bestest Loudest voice "SCOUSERS!"

Gentlemen. I belive this to be arse gravy of the worst kind. There is no maritime law that affects this according to my Uncle, Liverpool's harbourmaster . Just carry on, and tell them its a banjo

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore